Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, February 20, 2009

Hilde Soliani Il Tuo Tulipano: Perfume Review

Once I began to discover Hilde Soliani's fragrances, I was addicted. From the husky sexy-comforting stunner Bell'Antonio to the cerebral and atmospheric Vecchi Rossetti, to the mouthwatering piña colada of Siparia and juicy melon of Mangiamo Dopo Teatro, to the green and earthy Stecca, poignant with childhood memories, I enjoyed each and every one. I was sure, on the first perfunctory sniff, that the fresh, sweet and simplistic Il Tuo Tulipano will be the one Soliani scent I won't like.

Not so. There is so much more to Il Tuo Tulipano than seems at first. It does have a certain watery freshness but also a lot of ripe, honeyed, rosey sweetness. It has a pulpy, juicy, fruity aspect and is, obviosuly, floral, but it also dispalys a green, dry, earthy streak that runs through the composition. The gentle muskiness of its floral accord reminded me of my beloved Lancome Peut-Etre....the sharp greenness made me think of Soliani's own Stecca. Combine the two and you have an idea of Il Tuo Tulipano. Tulips don't really have that much of a smell apart from a certain wet, green freshness (which Soliani's rendition does include); to me, Il Tuo Tulipano is an ode to tulips' color rather than their non-aroma... a synesthesiac's delight. I think of the scent as of bright, dazzling red, with a touch of yellow, right where each delicately folded bud begins and where the verdant stem connects the flower to the soil that breeds it.

I am wearing Il Tuo Tulipano to spite the cold weather, but I can't wait to let it blossom in all its feminine, bright glory when spring comes...with a red dress with full skirt, high heels and a new hope in heart.

Available at New London Pharmacy and soon Luckyscent, at rather reasonable $75.00 for 50ml.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

Oooh! $75 for 50ML? That's the new free! Add in pulpy juicy and earthy and I cannot wait!

1:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Exactly, the new free :-))

7:28 AM EST  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Goodness,
That sounds wonderful....However the description of you in high heels, a red dress with a full skirt and a new hope in heart was spectacular! It will be a happy day for NYC! I haven't tried any of these and I must...75.00 a bottle seems so ummm..... reasonable:)

9:19 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Hilde Soliani...all the scents you listed sound fab. I'll have to mark these down on my 'must-try' list.Spring seems so far away (we just had another storm yesterday) but I see what you mean about wanting to wear 'printempial' fragrances. Away with the rich, Indian puddings and in with Bel Respiro and Diorissimo!

New London Pharmacy is located in the US?

Thanks for the temptations,
Lovethescents

9:31 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Oh, you have inspired me to start spelling "ti amo." I have squirreled away my small decant of Tulipano, waiting for the right occasion to give it a full drive...I think now is the time. I grew weary of winter (which I had been loving) a couple of weeks ago; am having a hard time holding back from spring scents, because I would love to dive in, BUT I don't want to cause extended waiting-for-spring pain. (Spring is slow to arrive here in my area of the Great Lakes region...)

So nice to think of you walking some Spring down the streets of NYC! :)

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

"..a bright dazzling red with a touch of yellow, right where each delicately folded bud begins and where the verdant stem connects the flower to the soil ..." Oh my, yes. What a perfectly springtime sentence and scent. Believe it or not, it is already springtime down here. I find this slightly anxiety producing-- time is moving a bit too fast!-- but come down and visit if you'd like to smell some tulips in person...

1:38 PM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

P.S. I'm in Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus today, which is elegant Spring if anything is. I'm afraid my wee decant is going to run dry before the season does.

1:42 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I can't *wait* for LS to get these in! Thank God I have a large sample which will last me until they do. This really is a gloriously colorful scent. I'm so glad that HS is going to be getting a wider audience for her creations. Very well deserved. I'm hoping that eventually the second group will come in smaller bottles.

3:27 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
It will be spectacular when you come to visit!

7:59 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
It is in the Us, actually in NY.

8:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

ScentScelf,
waiting-for-spring pain describes it very well...

8:01 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyss,
Thank you and oh I would love to visit one day.

8:02 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
Osmanthus doesn't like me :-(

8:02 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
By the second group, do you mean the theater-inspired ones? Yes, they should come in 50mls as well

8:04 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I adore the scent of Tulips (the orange and yellow ones usually have the sweetest aroma, somewhat like a Primrose) and this sounds like it's the perfect spring perfume for me. Nice price too!

1:07 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
So some do have smell? Interesting!

7:16 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I take my prescriptions to be filled at New London Pharmacy, I am always startled to see it listed as a tempting fragrance source. I will most certainly test Il Tuo Tulipano when I pick up my allergy meds next week!

10:07 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Yes Marina, the fragrant ones are often descended from a very fragrant yellow species called Tulipa sylvestris, which is shaped like a lily and has a wonderful aroma. I have grown both it and its descendants. It is also an ancestor of all the "Lily-flowered" tulips on the market. Also try sniffing any tulips the color of orange soda, they often have a delightful fragrance. :-D

11:50 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely review! Beautiful last line Marina.

And I love Tom's quip, "that's the new free".

Beauty and laughter. I'm so glad I stopped by!

2:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Therese,
Now see, and I have no idea it was an actual pharmacy as well :-)

8:47 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Oh, I'd love to smell that!

8:47 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Trish,
Thank you so much!

8:47 AM EST  
Blogger Kristy said...

Is this a new version of tulipano or the (older) one?

9:18 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, tulips have a fragrance. Every year I plant Apricot Beauty so I will have armloads of their soft, honey-primrose scent. I'm just addicted to it. Il Tuo Tulipano is not exactly that scent, but it certainly comes close and I'm thrilled to find it.

1:09 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home