Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage: Perfume Review

By Tom

Gardenia in fragrance can be a good or a bad thing, depending upon how you feel about the flower and how it's handled. Some will grab you by the lapels and shake you like a cat with a fresh-caught mouse (Agent Provocateur) while some whisper rather than shout (SIP Epic Gardenia). I prefer the whisper, thanks, and the house of Goutal is almost always about the whisper.

The idea behind Un Matin d'Orage is that it's supposed to be the simulacrum of the smell of a Japanese garden after a morning storm. I can speak to the accuracy of that, but there is a definite aquatic freshness to the scent, as well as stemmy green-ness and discernible grapefruit at the beginning. I should hate that but I don't at all. This part of the scent stays close to my skin and is quite lovely. The gardenia is gorgeous and surprisingly shadowy; I catch it at odd times but don't smell a lot of it when I close in.

I can appreciate the femininity and easy chic of this scent and think it could be summer favorite for someone who isn't me. It needs a woman to bloom on. But it always doesn't need to be about me. Besides, there's enough from this line that's me all over, perhaps this one is all about you?

Available at Saks, and at Lianne Tio Perfumes

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

'a woman to bloom on'...what a perfect way to defy many theories on perfume. That elusive quality that creates a true moment in fragrance, or breaks it down to little more than spritzed beauty (in the best of cases). The main adventure is to synchronize with love that moment with one's figure, image and person, at any given moment. It is a surprisingly pleasant persecutory experience, and then, with some maturity, one knows not all women are in oneself, and some are just out there.

6:03 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Wow, that is such a lovely bottle. But...demure. And I'm sadly lacking in that quality. I think that may be why, despite being the correct gender, this scent is one I can appreciate as truly lovely, but will never be able to wear.

7:00 AM EDT  
Blogger NewKidOnTheBlog said...

I think it's nice when you hear about (or read on a blog) a fragrance and think you will like it, based on the description of the scents and how they interact with each other, and then try it and DO like it.

But somehow I think it is even nicer when ... as you say Tom ... you "should hate it but you don't"

Mr.C.

8:40 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

I have greatly enjoyed scents with shadows...I love it when there's an element that haunts, but isn't to be found with nose to skin.

Well, I guess I should say I am capable of loving it. That isn't always the way I would choose to go... ;)

Thanks for a lovely review.

10:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I just wanted to say that I was completely charmed by the last two lines of your article.

-Existentialist

12:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although this is a scent that I wouldn't ordinarily find attractive, I've found myself liking and wearing it quite a bit! It just smells light, wet and lovely.

1:16 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

EEM-

Beautifully put as usual. Thank you.

1:16 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I feel kind of the same way, but I am glad it's a lovely, well-made scent.

1:17 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mr. C.

I like it most when I am surprised.

1:18 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ScentSelf-

I agree. I just can't see myself in Gardenias any more than I can see myself wearing a ball gown

1:19 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Existentialist-

Thanks!

1:20 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I'm glad you're wearing it! It's a delightful scent, just not for me.

1:21 PM EDT  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Tom, I love your review, and I love this fragrance! I gave a bottle to my sister (she only wears AG fragrances) and she loves it, too.

Hugs!

1:28 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

I'm giving one away as well, a friend of mine is crazy for it!

1:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dying to try this after reading you, Tom!

8:04 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marina-

I think you might really like this one, and it will really like you back..

9:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Oh my oh me...I haven't felt such an urge to make an effort to get a sample in a long time.

9:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom, that is just a lovely review, and now I REALLY have to try this. A gardenia that whispers would fill a niche in my collection. And I am all about stemmy green stuff too. :-D

10:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I somehow missed this post! This one I predict will be a love-it-or-hate-it depending on how people feel about the aquatic part. The line's getting more adventurous. But I love the old school AG so much. Who couldn't find something to adore in there?

9:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

tmp00
many thanks!

11:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I`m an Annick freak - :-) - but March is on the mark re: aquatic notes. This is a well- built beauty; I am so open to many notes, but Calone and the like were so abused from the 90`s foward, and it`s not an easy note - hard/harsh - I`ve got to get by this, for this scent does exactly what it promises WELL! hotlanta linda

10:39 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home