Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekend Beauty: Finding the perfect pink lipstick

By Donna

I seem to have a curse – every time I find THE perfect pink lipstick, it goes away. Cosmetic companies must have spying devices planted in my house so they can whisk it off the shelves as soon as I run out of my last tube of The One – not too pale or chalky, just a wearable medium pink in the neutral to slightly blue range. Of course it’s not just the color either; it must have a moisturizing formula, a creamy texture, a pleasing aroma, and not be frosted or glittery. It’s surprising how hard it can be to find exactly the right one, at any price point.

The first time it happened was with Frances Denney Pink Clover –this was over 25 years ago and it still stings! The store I had been buying it from stopped carrying the brand. It’s only available online now; it used to be at JC Penney and other mid-range department stores. A creamy bluish-pink exactly the color of clover blossoms, it was my favorite for a long time. The company doesn’t make anything even close to it now.

Some time later, I struck gold, or rather pink again with Lancôme’s Freesia. Very similar in color to the Denney product, it was more moisturizing and was also in the now sadly departed grape seed oil formula, making it smell delicious. Lancôme lipsticks now smell just okay, but they used to be downright enticing.

I was able to console myself with another Lancôme shortly thereafter in the form of Champagne, a matte pink with a touch of watermelon in it. One day I stopped by to get a new tube and you guessed it, it was gone. Oddly, there was still a lipstick called Champagne, but in a totally different formula, quite a bit darker, and with a bit of frost, so it was not really a replacement. I am a very pale pink person, and as I get older I tend to shy away from darker shades on the lips, especially if they veer into the brown range, since they look unnatural on me. Neutral to blue-reds I can do, mauves and roses yes, but I always come back to basic pinks for daily wear. I found one I loved at the Ulta store, one of their house brand shades of Sheer formula lipstick called Angelfood – do you think I could find it again when it was down to a nub? I think you know the answer. The Sheer lipstick in Pink Lemonade is close, but a little too light for some situations. The Sheer Mixed Berry is lovely and I got one, but it’s a raspberry pink, not a basic “neutral” pink.

Do I dare say I have just found another one I love and that it’s a Lancôme? Oh yes, I have. It was in a giveaway, which is normally a hit or miss experience, but this time I got a perfect fit. It is in the Color Design formula in The New Pink, and it’s a medium pink with just a hint of a watermelon/hibiscus tone, and the finish is called Sheen – not frost, not shine, but a subtle gleam. It’s one of those great like-your-own-lips-but-better shades that virtually anyone can wear, and it glides on smoothly and wears well. So how many tubes/cases/truckloads of it should I get?

Image source, Lipstick swoosh from Cosmopolitan.com

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

Ah, "sadly discontinued"...the epitaph of so many cosmetic. My solution...backups! I have a few of colors I really adore, and it's the only solution.

Once in awhile, if you make enough requests, and others do as well, a color will be resurrected. This happened with my favorite college lippie-Clinique Black Honey.

5:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Clearly you need at least half-a-dozen! But, Donna, isn't looking for the HG half the fun? Maybe you could just keep shopping while your current fave is still around...

12:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been haunting eBay in similar situations. As soon as I realize some favorite has been d/c'ed, the search is on! Also, Lancome's website has a "last call" feature where they sell off d/c'ed items. Good luck, and I must check out your pink recommendations at Lancome and Ulta. . .
Gretchen

12:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Louise, if they would only warn me of its imminent demise!

2:49 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Alyssa, I really like the way you think! :-)

2:50 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Gretchen, thanks, I will check that out on the Lancome site- unfortunately it's too late for Freesia or Champagne, they are both long gone.

2:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous nikki c said...

i really miss mauve crystal by clinique ... i am now in love with their "pink a boo" shade. it's not as versatile as MC but it's lovely nonetheless!

6:15 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Nikki C - believe it or not I was a Mauve Crystal fan too! See what I mean? They are spying on me! :-)

12:25 AM EDT  
Anonymous Tara C said...

You know, you can send in a smidgen of your favorite lipstick to Three Custom Color and they can duplicate it for you, right? They do a really good job. Unless you prefer the thrill of the hunt. :-)

4:08 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home