Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Weekend Beauty - Nail Polish: Mojito and Matte

The lime-mint green was on Chanel Autumn-Winter 2009 runway, and what's good for Chanel is almost always good for me. But- and it is not that I ammuch into seasonality of scents or polishes- I am more drawn to cool greens like that when the weather is hot. So here are the "mojito-green" favorites, with which I have been shocking innocent bystanders this summer:

Orly Mojito Green. Goes on smooth, is thick enough in two coats, and as for the notoriously long drying time of Orly polishes, I can't comment on that anymore. Fast dry top coat is my new best friend.

OPI Hey, Get in Lime! A cool, ethereal-green perfection of a color. Mermaids should wear this. Impeccable application.

OPI Gargantuan Green Grape in matte (pictured on top too). That's right, I jumped on the bandwagon. And I will be happily riding it, with one single complaint: application! It is tricky, toput it mildly, especially in lighter shade like the Grape. It's bad enough with a light-colored cream, now imagine it in matte! I figured out that, to avoid bumps and streaks, the polish needs to be applied thickly and spread super-fast, as it dries almost immediately. But the shade is beautiful, and the nails with matte polish have such an oddly appealing "velvety" look and feel not at all coarse but "powdery-smooth" to the touch.

And, although green it is not, here is another matte favorite of mine, as a bonus- OPI Lincoln Park After Dark.

Black-purple perfection of a shade. Striking and stylish (perhaps better suited for nails slightly shorter, as it gives the longer ones a witchy look...although...so what, right?). Application of a dark matte polish was much easier, but...and I rarely complain about how long a polish lasts without chipping and peeling off , simply because I change shades so often...LPAD matte was chipping at the tips within hours of application. Still, it is a new vampy favorite.

All available at TransDesign.com.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Gorgeous greens! Don't think I could pull them off, but they are lovely to look at.
But I'm really commenting to wish you the happiest of birthdays today! Hope it's an over the top wonderful start to a fantastic new year! :-)

7:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!
I will always love LPAD eternally, but I think that the HGIL could be my new favorite!!!!!!!

Those were great colors to wake up to! Thanks M. Hope that your day is as incredible as you are!

8:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Thank you so much!

9:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

B,
Thank you!! And I totally see you in LP!

9:10 AM EDT  
Blogger NewKidOnTheBlog said...

Happy Birthday!

10:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyeux Anniversaire! )

10:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

P,
Thank you!

10:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anonymous,
Merci :-)

10:31 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

These are so cool, but Im curious: how lo g do these multi-hued reviews take? You can't just put on one polish and take it off right? Wo t that kill the nail? And is there a problem with nails becoming discored with the darker polishes or is that a something that was left to my Moms generation?

4:24 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

PS- sorry for the spotty typing- I'm using my iPhone

and of course Happy Birthday!!

4:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

M, happy birthday!!!!

I am digging the matte polish. I bet my mom would love that. It's very dramatic. I am going to check into getting her a bottle.

Big kiss for you on your birthday!

11:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Thank you!

The images get done over the course of a week or a couple of weeks. Sometimes, you could do them within an hour :-) Color-make a pic-wash off-repeat :-)

The nail discoloration is still a problem, if one forgets a base coat...or even sometimes with a base coat. And matte OPI came with a warning not to use a base, so...:-(

1:58 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley,
Thank you! Definitely dramatic. Which color would you chose for her?

1:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Kelley said...

I thought the LPAD Matte looked really cool! I don't like that you said it was chipping almost immediately after finishing....

Hmmm. She wouldn't like that. It does look good though.

11:25 PM EDT  
Anonymous Lavanya said...

The greens look good- I am not sure if green would suit my skin tone- I would love a dirty earthy green though. And the matte looks hawt!!..lol
Hope you had a super Birthday!

7:45 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home