Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, February 05, 2011

The Scent, The Sachet And The Wardrobe

By Olfactoria

We have covered the large spaces of our homes in the last few post about home scents, but what is still missing are the smaller ones.

Cupboards and wardrobes can use a good fragrance too.

The best smelling cupboard in my house is the one housing my perfume collection of course, but I think that is the only place one doesn’t have to worry about scenting in any way. The cumulative effect of the various bottles in there is intoxicating and enticing enough (for an addict, I mean a Perfumista at least).

In my linen and clothes drawers I use various sachets to keep things smelling fine in there.

For the more do-it-yourself inclined among you, I included a link for a how-to tutorial to make your own sachets by the inimitable Martha Stewart. She uses a mixture of lavender, wormwood, cedar, patchouli, rosemary, cinnamon, or cloves to put into lovely Organza Sachets.

For the rest of us, who are not as gifted with a needle, there are ready made alternatives available. A good and very affordable bet are the lovely linen bags that house either Verbena or Lavender that L’Occitane de Provence offers. L’Occitane Verveine and Lavande sachets (8$ a piece) are beautiful to look at and hold their scent for a very long time. I change them no more than once or twice a year, they stay fresh and lovely all the while. Also moths really hate the smell of Lavender apparently, so that is the scent I use the most in our wardrobes.

Crabtree and Evelyn scented hangers and sachets are available in three fragrances: Lavender, Rosewater and Summer Hill. I use a lovely pink Rosewater sachet in my lingerie drawer. These are not exactly a bargain, (I received mine as a gift) but their scent is lovely and they stay fresh for a long time. It is also nice to toss one of these into a suitcase when traveling, it softly fragrances my clothes and reminds me of home at the same time.

I did not try the scented hangers yet, but they sound like a lovely idea as well, should one have the money to spare. I don’t quite see the reason for these to be so very expensive though, the little bags are undoubtedly nicely done, but when there are so many alternatives out there for a tenth of the price, that is certainly where I draw the line.

Laura Ashley Wild Lilac Drawer Sachets are an indulgence for your wardrobe that doesn’t burn the bank while still looking lovely and smelling divine. The lilac colored sachets are ideal for drawers. Other scents available from Laura Ashley are Citrus Blossom and Nectarine, Fresh Linen and Jasmine, Peony Petals, Rhubarb and Vanilla and White Flowers. Hmm, smells lovely…

Another good idea is to put fine soaps into drawers, or – for a large wardrobe – to spray a little bit of your favorite perfume from time to time.

I like sachets for their low maintenance and longevity. Toss one into a drawer and forget about it for months.

Even if my wardrobes lead nowhere exiting (see title) at least they smell excellent.

Image credit, henryzecher.com.

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Something I do, which may or may not be fragrant sacrilege, is to use the bags that lush bath bars / bombs come in to scent my wardrobe after I've used the product. The smell lingers for an absolute age.

5:02 AM EST  
Blogger JoanElaine said...

I'm of the soap in the drawer school. I use Roger & Gallet carnation soaps which emit a lovely spicy floral scent every time I open my dresser drawers.

Incense wrapped in tissue paper works nicely too.

9:26 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

I drench cotton balls in cedarwood oil and leave them in the closet. The reason is actually quite banal--I have an almost pathological fear of moths. One year I brought a lovely, vintage wool sweater from Ukraine. Well, it has a very hungry post-Soviet moth in it, and it ended up eating ALL of my cashmere. So now, I am proactive with the cedarwood planks and such things. It does smell very good though.

10:02 AM EST  
Blogger Alice said...

I had not thought of putting soaps in my drawers...what a great idea! I've always used sachets...

10:09 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

My mom has always put soap in drawers. Now that she is coming, I am stocking up on soap :)

10:19 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

You know I'm going to bring up lavender again, right? Put some florets in a muslin tea bag...easy peasy.

Can you guess at least one something I grow in my garden? ;)

That said, when I pay attention to the subject, I'm always trying to find the balance between scenting the drawer and fumigating. Scented soaps generally seem to find the right ration. There is also such a thing as scented drawer liners, which the DIY in me would like to think you could make yourself with essential oils, but which I admittedly have gotten only as premade. I see Andy Tauer is working on scent impregnated cards; perhaps they would be nice stashed in a drawer, too?

10:39 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Marina's mom, mine also used soaps in drawers... and now that I think about it, it almost seems weird to me that I *don't* do that.

Very occasionally, I'll open the closet and spritz in some perfume, and the same for the drawers: just a spritz here or there, but I like the idea of having a sachet with consistency, and taking it in the luggage to create a sense of home.

Since I have so many wonderful smelly things growing in my yard, I think I'll make it a project this summer to make some home-made sachets... that will be fun!

11:08 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, hi!
That is not a sacrilege at all but a very smart idea, the Lush bags are indeed strongly scented. Great idea!

1:43 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joan Elaine - thanks for the tip with the incense. Must smell nice. :)

1:44 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, V, that is horrible, all cashmere sweaters ruined! I hate moths and fear them as well. ;) Thank God cedarwood is such a good smelling and natural option to fight them.

1:47 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
I often get scented soaps as gifts from dinner guests, so that is the best way to use those, I could never actually use up so many bars of soap (and I prefer liquid soap for handwashing anyway).

1:50 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M,
Getting Mom-ready? I know all about that. ;)

1:51 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scent Self,
I am not sure but could it be lavender you grow in your garden? ;)
Those cards Andy Tauer has up his sleeve look great, it would be such an easy and convenient way to just put one it a drawer and delight in Carillon pour un Ange - scented clothes. A must have!

1:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee,
I have many theories as to why we don't do certain things our mothers did, but don't get me started... ;)
Sounds like a great project, making your own sachets, I honestly admire craftiness.

1:58 PM EST  
Blogger Undina said...

I also use soaps (which reminds me: some of those need to be replaced - should I try something else?..)

Recently I put a cotton pad with several drops of a lavender infused oil in an organza bag and hanged it in the closet - the smell was nice but it lasted only for a week.

9:22 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undina, I like lavender the most in my closets too.

4:18 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No garden here, but I have bought lavender at a farmers' market. Florets, is that what they are called, ScentSelf? I poured them into a couple of drawstring fabric baggies received in swaps: voilà, lavender sachets in my drawers without Laura Ashley! Lovely.
Laura (not Ashley)

1:50 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Those Laura Ashley sachets sound fabulous! These are all great ideas.

I like to collect all the cotton balls I use to test perfume at my local shop and put them in a baggie to keep in my clothing drawers. It smells fantastic because I have such good taste in perfume, natch. ;-)

4:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura (not Ashley), I like your way better than Laura Ashley's actually, it is just that I am terribly lazy, that is why Ms Ashley always wins. ;)

4:21 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, Donna! I have no doubt your drawers smell awesome! ;)

4:23 AM EST  
Anonymous maggiecat said...

I love to buy and use fragranced soaps, and they make excellent sachets while awaiting their turn in the rotation. Useful AND pretty at the same time! And cost effective! And, I never have to worry about having loveluy soap on hand...

12:30 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maggiecat, soaps are indeed a great way to scent drawers, they distribute their fragrance longer than many sachets!

3:03 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home