Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Veld’s Prends Moi Slimming Fragrance


I found something curious this week at my local perfumery.

Prends Moi (Take me!) is an Eau de Minceur, a slimming scent. Yes, you read that correctly, this fragrance says it helps you to slim down and reduce weight.

Here is what the company says about Prends Moi:

“Spring 2011, Veld’s once again turns beauty codes upside-down and launches the very first Parfum de Minceur. A new fragrance-gesture, combining the pleasure of a real fragrance with the desire for a beautiful silhouette, the dream of every woman when spring arrives…”

The brand Veld’s, known for their innovative (or gimmicky, if you are less gracious) skincare products, launched this scent in Europe recently.

Prends Moi is based on aromatherapeutic and “neurocosmetic” research. It claims to work by inducing a sense of well-being and contentment that apparently leads to a reduced need for bodily sustenance.

In addition to smelling slim, it contains caffeine, carnitin, spirulina algae and a substance called betaphroline, all of which are meant to be massaged into the skin and help reduce fat tissue. Betaphroline works, so the company’s claim, by “triggering the release of Beta-Endorphins at the skin’s Keratocyte level, allowing transmission of the slimming message from one neuron to the next”. (I can see a Noble Prize for these people in the near future!)

Okay, so let’s see: it works by inducing well-being and contentment, okay I am with them so far. Perfume can induce such a state of mind, we all know that, it is how many of us use perfume, to feel good, as well as smell good.

Further, the feeling of well-being and contentment can reduce appetite, as in when you are happy, you tend to eat less. But I fear I need a lot more happiness that this little bottle can possibly hold, to stop me from craving chocolate or pasta.

Like falling in love, landing a coveted new job, delivering a baby, these kinds of life events have the ability to stop me eating whatever strikes my fancy. Anything less – not a chance. A perfume that has such power? *watch my eyebrows shooting up*

But skepticism aside, how does it smell? It is purported to be a “real fragrance” after all.

The scent includes notes of bergamot, mandarin, grapefruit, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lilac, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla and white musks.

Sounds pretty straightforward, smells pretty much as expected.

It is a lovely, non-threatening spring-y scent that forces me to use the dreaded descriptors “light” and “fresh”. It is upbeat and happy to the core. I am tempted to add “irritating”, but let’s not judge too early here. After an effervescent top of aquatic and citrus notes that keep up their thing for a long time, a softly floral heart centered on ylang-ylang segues into a lightly sweet vanilla-sandalwood drydown that almost avoids clean musks, but smells oddly fruity. There is certainly more fruit to this scent than the notes want to make us believe…

I am up for a lot when it comes to perfume, and I feel adventurous, so therefore I will selflessly start an experiment. I happen to have a week’s supply of this miracle of science on hand. That means one week of spraying and rubbing Prends Moi regularly all over my body as recommended on the packaging, and a close monitoring of my eating behavior.

I will report my findings next week.

Prends Moi is available for 56€ for 100ml through their website, I saw it in store for 67€.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger lovethescents said...

I don't want to sound too skeptical but this sounds like snake oil to me. Thank you for being our experiment! Please make sure to take all your measurements and let us know the results!

:-)

9:35 AM EDT  
Blogger Aimée L'Ondée said...

bwahhahaha! the name is priceless: take me! ma'am, we salute you for the dangerous mission you are about to take on in the name of science!

9:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Alice said...

I'll be interested to see your 'results'!

11:41 AM EDT  
Blogger tarleisio said...

To boldly go where no woman has gone before...I can only say I salute your courage! But I do have to wonder...is this the niche and fruitier version of Clarin's Eau Dynamissante, which supposedly cured cellulite?

No, it didn't work for me, either...;)

I suspect I've guessed the origin of the name. It's a twist on 'Alice in Wonderland', and those fatal bottles labelled 'eat/drink me...'

I think I'll just nibble on a mushroom instead, and let something else..take me!

1:38 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovethescents,
My thought exactly - snake oil! But in the name of science I'll try to refrain from judging too early and carry out my experiment diligently. ;)

2:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aimée,
thank you, your good wishes will help me through the trying time ahead! ;)

2:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
me too!

2:15 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tarleisio,
my courage knows no bounds when it comes to perfume. ;)
I thought of Alice in Wonderland too when I saw the scent. I guess it is similarly realistic...

2:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

I. Don't. Believe. It.

2:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady Jane,
lol, you better believe it...

3:13 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rang the death knell for any possible lemming: Aquatic!

The closest to aquatic I dare go is Hermes Eau des Merveilles, and I'm pretty sure that's not very aquatic.

However, I'm interested in the experiment! I can't wait to find out if it actually works as an appetite suppressant ;)

6:24 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a perfume standpoint it is indeed not the most innovative or exiting option out there, it is not heavily aquatic, but that super-freshness is there. :) We will see how it works out...

1:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

You go girl - be our snake oil guinea pig, if I may mix my species slightly - our Versuchskaninchen - there, I've mixed them even more! (I have some L'Oreal Perfect Slim cellulite cream, which doesn't promise to be fragrant, but does allegedly help the appearance of cellulite. Have had this tube for YEARS, use it periodically and am still waiting for it to work its magic!

2:58 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, how fun...can't wait to hear about it! I think the vanilla in it would make me want to eat. ;o)

9:27 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanessa,
we'll see next Saturday if my heroic actions make me any less "bonny" or not. ;)

4:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy,
it is rather yummy, but maybe that is part of the higher scientific plan...? ;)

4:15 AM EDT  
Blogger lyrical said...

Apparently just the act of regularly recording what you eat tends to help people lose weight, which is why diet books sometimes recommend a food diary.

10:28 PM EDT  
Blogger Lake District said...

Motivation is the key to any keep fit, weight loss or healthy eating programe anyone may undertake. Personally I decided to get out walking and opened www.lakedistrictwalks.net to help motivate me in my endevours to get fit after a few years doing nothing.
I am no Lake District Walks guide although I do offer anyone who wishes to get out and get fit the opportunity to come join me and there is no charge for this as its simply a walk out in the countryside if you would like. Maybe this could be the start of your new keep fit programe enjoying one of Englands National Parks and great scenery.

8:27 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home