Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Sometimes You Get Lucky: Miller et Bertaux Spiritus/Land

By Tom

Miller et Bertaux is a Paris-based house that I'd never tried before since I don't know who carries it in my area. Cruising around Santa Monica recently, I went into Palmetto, one of my favorite shops. (LA Sniffa attendees will remember going to the sadly closed West Hollywood store). Palmetto has been at the corner of Montana and 11th for as long as I can remember, and have everything that you could want or need as far as bath, face and body products. They also carry a selection of scents, which is of course what I was interested in.

On the sale rack was Spiritus/Land, a tester I think that was 5/8 full and marked at $20. If it had even been decent smelling I might have bought it. But it wasn't decent.

It was fantastic.

It's an incense scent, but an odd one. It opens with a burst of pepper, pink and black and ginger. Then there's the juxtaposition of a very clean accord with incense that also still carries the pepper that's fascinating: the yin and yang of clean, green sunny soapiness and dark, dusty shadow incense is something that made me go "squee!" The fact that the drydown goes more towards the darkside cements the idea that I scored, big-time.

Miller et Bertaux has the most atrocious, useless website I've ever seen. Fragrantica sells this at $150 for 100ML. Apparently "certain" Barneys carry the line, but not the one in my 'hood. I'm glad that I got my bottle cheap, and glad that Miller et Bertaux is apparently so flush that they don't actually need to have any business. Palmetto, while a place you need to visit when you're in LA apparently doesn't carry it anymore.

Which means this post is torture. Sorry. If you know places that carry them, please chime in in the comments.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous ghostranchguy said...

luckyscent used to carry all their stuff... but not anymore

i've seen it on ebay...

12:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

This sounds really great! Naturally had to check out that Web site, and yes it is awful! Not at all helpful. And wow, you did score big!

1:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Martinus Scriblerus said...

I'm sure that this is really no use *at all* to many readers, but M&B stockists are all over London and especially Rome. My Barney's in SF carries them too.

2:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Essenza" in Seattle carries Miller et Bertaux.
They do not have a functioning website, but you can call them. They have a lot of MeB frags and there are nice people there.

3:31 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really a torture! The combination of incense and soap is fantastic. I have only smelled it in the now discontinued Jil Sander Man from the late 70's if I remember well. I think it has been reworked in their recent Scent 79 my Mark Buxton but I might be wrong.

Any other scents with this combo?

6:31 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to try this years ago, it's fantastic! You really scored with this one, Tom, you lucky (edited)! ;-)
-Marla

6:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous mo said...

Wow! What a fantastic buy! I don't know what happened to Miller et Bertaux's distribution, but I see that Luscious Cargo still has it on their website. Spiritus/Land (#2) and Green Green Green (#3) were my favorites from this line.

9:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aedes de Venustas carries M&B

12:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen M said...

I'm glad anon mentioned Aedes still carries the line. I had a bit of panic there. M&B's Green, green, green and green is one of my favorites, and I'm getting to the point where I will have to reorder it. Spiritus is my other favorite of this line, though I haven't tried them all.

2:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Amanda Eltiqaz said...

New perfume with cheaper price =)

>> One Drop Perfume

9:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Nice review, Tom. It's $140 on the New London Pharmacy website: http://www.newlondonpharmacy.com/products?brand=349

6:41 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home