Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Love, Loss and What We Wore

By Tom

I was going to write about the fabulous new perfume place on Melrose that opened and all the goodies that they carry.  But I got there and it was.. not so fabulous (which is why I'm not naming it).  Not that they lady that was in there wasn't friendly, it's just that there isn't a lot of product.  I'll give them a couple of months to settle in and see if it's worth the Melrose hassle (parking there is a b$%^h) and what stock they've added if any.  Last week I regaled you all with my petty travails trying to get inexpensive evening wear together for an event I was invited to.  You all made pretty great suggestions- so many that it was hard to choose!

The event was for St Jude Children's Research Hospital and was very fancy.  I would never have been able to go (unless I was serving dinner) except that I'd become friends with one of the co-chairs.  We go to the movies together since her husband doesn't like the RomCom thing and I do.  We just went to the Muppets a couple of weeks ago and had a ball.  I always bristle when people try to paint Beverly Hills as full of rich snobs who care more about clothing than people.  My friends know I'm a churchmouse in the finances, but have never, ever made me feel any less than welcome and equal to them, so matter how North of Sunset they are.  Certainly Terre and her family work tirelessly for this charity and she's the most wonderful, down-to-earth person you could ever meet.  Everyone I know in this town really does give back in a big way.  I wish I could do more.  All I can do is ask you to click through and read the article.  I had now idea of the mechanics of the hospital: it spends 1.7 million A DAY on patient care and research, all of it donated.  All of it to save kids.

So what did I wear?  The last of my sample of Salamander by Fleurage, which needs to come to LuckyScent like yesterday.  All the ladies I air-kissed said I smelled fabulous..

5 Comments:

Blogger Taffy said...

Oh, St. Jude's is such a wonderful organizaton, and I have donated to them, and will do so in the future.

Glad you had a wonderful time! The Salamander was a good choice; I'm sure you smelled divine!

1:12 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Taffy-

Thank you for donating!

1:50 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Tom. Salamander sounds wonderful.

Just a thought--write to the nice folks at Luckyscent, and tell them about this neat Aussie line of fragrances. I wrote them about Mary Greenwell Plum, telling them about the blog buzz, and how difficult it is to obtain. . .and now it's a stock item. I was glad to have the chance to try it. I'd love to try the Fleurage line as well. You've made them sound fantastic.

Sounds like you had a great time for a great cause. St. Jude's does great work in children's lives. Thanks for letting us live a little, imagining a glamourous black tie event and the excitement in preparing to go through your writing. Be well.
--HemlockSillage

10:56 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

HemlockSillage-

I will do that, thanks!

2:28 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like it truly was a gala event! The next time you see your friend, you can tell her this story: Back in the 1950s my mother was a stewardess. Flying back then was quite a different experience than it is today. The people who flew back then tended to be rich or famous or both, and as a stewardess, Mom dealt with them all. She adored Danny Thomas; he was one of her favorite passengers! Years later she would tell us about what a "genuinely nice man" he was. "When he smiled, it was from the heart." She had been a fan of his since his radio days and in our house we never missed his TV show. It's great to hear about the wonderful legacy he has left behind.

4:21 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home