Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dries Van Noten By Frederick Malle

By Tom

As I was out and about I popped into Barneys and saw a new Malle. It was developed as a tribute to  Dries Van Noten, the avant-garde Dutch Belgian (thank you commenter for the correction) fashion designer.

According to the Barneys website, it's a "modern oriental evocative of classic perfumes which translate the distinctive sensuality of Dries Van Noten's world" with notes of "Sandalwood, Vanilla, Sacrasol, Patchouli, Saffron and Jasmine absolute." What's surprising about it is that it plays so close to the skin and that it is very, very simple. A woody opening and a creamy drydown that's sweet and milky. I didn't really smell patchouli, saffron or jasmine there, but to be honest I only gave it one days try. I mean, I liked it, just not enough to even beg a sample at the counter. Much like his ready-to-wear, Dries Van Noten is just not me. I'm not the avant-garde type..

Dries Van Noten is $185 for 50ML, exclusively at Barneys where I sampled.

Image: Barneys

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tom,
we have had polar opposite experiences with DvN. I loved it and had a wonderful story and it absolutely sang on my skin, interesting how differently a fragrance can play on wearers.
Portia xx

3:14 AM EDT  
Blogger Crystal S. said...

Oh wow, that sounds heavenly! Can you think of any scents that this reminds you of? The vanilla, jasmine, and sandalwood make me think of some of the perfumes I love, like Samsara and Armani Code. Those extra notes are throwing me off a little bit as I try to imagine what it must smell like. Still, it sounds like something I need to try. Thanks for posting about it.

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

One small comment: Dries van Noten is not Dutch, he is Belgian, part of the famous Antwerp Six, all graduates of Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Arts in the early eighties.

1:14 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Portia-

I am thrilled that we're going to be able to test that out together!

11:24 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

It kind of reminded me of the Malle that was mushroomy, actually..

11:25 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Thanks! I got that from the internets- I'll change it.

11:26 PM EDT  
Blogger basia77 said...

I won a sample of this and was so excited based on the notes, but it was WAAY TOOOO SWEEET on me!

1:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow. I am. I'll have to get a sample.

12:17 AM EDT  
Blogger Perfumes said...

I use this perfumes and its smell is really awesome with cool fragrance. I really won a buy perfumes.

3:15 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home