Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Perfume Review: Montale Aoud Flowers

"...red in aspect, sweet in taste"
Samuel ha-Nagid



Montale does not make it easy to write reviews about their rose aouds. There are just so many of them and although they all are, of course, different, the differences are not incredibly striking. This is not a criticism, actually, just a statement of a fact. I somehow managed to turn into a rose-aoud collector of sorts, but if a non-collector owned, say, Aoud Rose Petals or Aoud Queen Roses or Aoud Damascus, would she really need Aoud Flowers too? Probably not. And if a person wrote posts about a couple of other rose aouds, would the words to describe Aoud Flowers come easy to her? Definitely not. And yet, because I like the scent so much, I feel compelled to review it.

I think that what makes Aoud Flowers special in its own unique way are honey and incense. After the oud-full, recognizably "Montale" beginning, the flowers, roses and something else, something that, because of the heady rose and the oud accord, is not easy to indentify, but which is not rose ...start to blossom. The flowers smell exotic, they smell...expansive, for a lack of a better word. They are wonderfully opulent. And as they open their luscious petals on my skin, they reveal their nectarous, honeyed nature. The honey note here, blended with the dark and spicy aoud and the languid flowers, is absolutely stunning. The list of the notes (oud, white flowers, rose, honey, sandalwood) does not include frankincense, and yet this is the note that I smell - very distinctly!- in the base of Aoud Flowers. The peppery incense adds a certain dry elegance to the extravagantly lush top and middle notes, it adds beautiful soul to the breathtaking carnality of aoud and flowers. If you don't own a Montale aoud yet, I would highly recommend this one. And if you are a fellow maniac connoisseur, this has to be in your collection.

I don't seem to be able to find Aoud Flowers at ony regular US-based Montale retailers, but it should be available in the Montale boutique in Paris, and can be ordered over the phone.

Photo by Camilla Akrans, source, lundlund.com.

26 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

I love that photo..

10:57 PM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

I am not quite the Montale maniac that you are, M, but I like this one. It has a toasted/carmelized marshmallow aspect to it (the honey?) that works very well for fall. A little sour on me, like many of the Aoud-Roses from this line, but all in all, very snuggly.

11:39 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not tried this one yet, but it should be available here in the USA soon at The Perfume House once they have the full line in stock. I have samples of the Aoud Roses Petales and the Aoud Queen Roses, so I know what you mean that their rose aoud fragrances are very similar - In fact I can't decide which one I like better! I like them both very much and I just can't commit - I would only buy one if I caved. Now I have to wait until I try this one and the Damascus. The honey and incense in Aoud Flowers sounds irresistible.

11:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Gaia said...

so far, many Montales didn't work for me. I usually like aouds, but something went wrong (loud and sour) with the ones I've sampled from Luckscent and from Aedes.

However, I adore the vanilla scents and find them easy to wear.

The notes in this one sound too good. Because I really need something new to obsess about.
(I almost managed to keep a straight face while typing the last sentence. Almost)

12:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
me too :-)

6:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Erin,
Aouds are always a little sour on me. But I now consider that a part of their charm :-)

6:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Here is wishing that TPH gets the full line in stock asap!

6:43 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Gaia,
Have you tried White Aoud? Lots of vanilla there. That one is probably the snuggliest Montale scent for me.

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Aoud Flowers definitely makes it into my group of scents which I feel I cannot continue existence on this planet w/out. As a honey addict and an aoud addict, there really was no question that I'd fall hard for this one. Very hard. If I *had* to pick a favorite Montale (at dawn, at gunpoint), this would be it.

7:07 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

As you know, I really like this scent. And I love that picture! But I think you have perhaps passed me in Montale mania, so I will have to try to keep up.:)

In other Montale news: I just got some Aoud Hoggar Mota (sp?) from one of the many MUA splits. Incensey and very nice. And the other day, an elderly woman gave me a perfume compliment (I almost NEVER get these): "Whatever you are wearing, it smells beautiful." Aoud Rose Petals.

7:10 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I think at dawn, at gunpoint I'd pick Aoud Rose Petals...but then I'd say, nah, shoot me anyway, I can't live without White Aoud either :-)

7:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
The lady certainly had great taste :-) ARP is the most wonderful of them all, for me.

7:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Marina, your Montale reviews always fill me with such longing. I so wish I could wear these. Someday I'll find a Montale that does not go terribly, horribly wrong on me. If I lived a few blocks closer to Aedes I'd go past every day & try one ... so long as it wasn't too far from a potential showering off time. Just in case.

7:55 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Montale addict here (even though when I wear my favorite, Black Aoud, I actually get an adverse reaction from people. "What's that smell -- diesel?" Once I explain what aoud is, though, they often come back for another sniff.)

Looking forward to trying Aoud Flowers now. The honeyed aspect you describe sounds intriguing!

9:44 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Hmmm -- so do you like it BETTER than Roses Petals, or whichever is your absolute favorite of the rose aouds? Because while I don't object to 80 variations on the theme at all, there are only so many days in the year I'm going to wear one :-)

11:22 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am obsessing about Aoud Roses Petals. I emailed Montale and it can be mine for 95E, this is considerably less than US retailers offer. I cannot imagine adding more Montale aouds to choose between; this fever is quite enough! But I do love incense...

12:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divalano,
Aoud Blossom is not overwhelmingly aoud-y. Maybe it will work...

1:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
Diesel, hahahaha

1:35 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin,
I still like Aoud Rose Petals the most. No, actually I like that and White Aoud the most- equally :-)

1:36 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2scents,
I still haven't gotten mine. I will make a lot of fuss if it doesn't arrive. It would be my 2nd order with them to go wrong.

1:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Oh Marina,

What a beautiful review! This sounds so much like what i have always wanted Patous "Joy" to smell like, bourbon roses and honey. I have not tried any of the Montales yet....would this be the best one for me to sample or is there another that might fit my lusts better ;)

4:43 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Montale, love their rose aouds and I hope this one doesn't turn too sweet on me. I normally avoid honey in perfumes but they seem to make the notes I hate in a way that I end up loving them.
Vanilla is not my thing but I find White Aoud and Boise Vanille impossible not to love; I don't know if it's the quality of the materials or what.
And no other line lasts so long on me, changing and improving hour after hour.

6:18 PM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

I must get on this bandwagon, especially since it's personified with the gorgeous photo of a redhead! Thanks for bringinig this one to life for me, dearest M. :-)

6:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
I know what you mean. I wouldn't call this one, Joy though, maybe- Passion. :-)

10:23 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Edwardian,
This one is impossible not to love too. And I think if Whote Oud wasn't too sweet for you, this one won't either.

10:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tamara,
You gotta! This one all their rose aouds in general!

10:25 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home