Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekend Beauty: Makeup Miscellanea - New Discoveries

Discovery 1: Jouer Cosmetics. A new name to me, a line created by "makeup stylist" Christina Zilber. The favorite within the line- Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Wind, a nude beige-pink, a little softer than NARS's Orgasm. Might actually be another "universal" shade that suit "everybody". I apply it over Jouer's Lip Enhancer, "a nourishing and conditioning lip treatment with clinically proven Maxi-Lip™ to naturally increase the fullness of your lips while decreasing fine lines". I don't know if it is actually working, I'll report when the required 29 days have passed, if my cosmetics ADD does not flare up, but usually I wipe things like that off almost involuntary ("what's this grease on my lips?!"), and Jouer's actually does not feel "heavy" at all. I also like Mineral Powder Blush in Rose, a dusty rose shade; the Powder Eyeshadows in Pink Champagne, Amaretto and Chocolate and Cream Eyeshadow in Cashmere. The latter is good for those "I have nothing on, I am just naturally this dewy and sparkly" kinds of makeups. The fun (albeit gimmicky) thing about Jouer packaging is that containers can be attached to one another thus allowing you to create your own "palette" (which, when everything is attached, becomes too bulcky for the handbag, but whatever). Price range: $14.00-$24.00. Available at jouercosmetics.com and Henri Bendel.

Discovery 2: an everything-proof eye-liner, Ink Artliner in Indigo Charm by Lancome. And I mean, everything-and-anything-proof. Hysterical "I don't care how I look right now, I will wipe my eyes with my hands if I want to" kind of sobbing, diving, sweating, you name it, it can withstand it. It stays on even when you WANT to wash it off. Yes, one of those "panda-eyes after repeated washing" products, but hey, it is great for a somewhat softer (because it is blue, not black) take on the Babette look that I seem to be drawn to 60% of the time, and it is indispensable in the heat of summer, on a vacation (to those of us who just have to wear at least some makeup on a beach) and for persons prone to chronic tearfulness. The latter wouldn't be me, of course. Available wherever Lancome is sold, $23.50.

Discovery 3: Isomers Fast Lift Eye Serum. Also indispensable for the dramatic types, who toss and turn or cry or indeed party all night but want to look in the morning fresher and smoother than Bar Rafaeli. It has the more immediate smoothing effect than my previously beloved Chanel Precision. I don't know (yet) how it would prove itself long-term, and I might not be the best subject for such experiments, because I mostly remember to use it only after I've been, um, dramatic. Which, I suppose, is often enough, actually. Sold at shopnbc.com, for a very reasonable $25.75.

Discovery 4: a rather perfect tinted moisturizer, Dr. Denese HydroShield Tinted Moisturizer in Medium. I struggle with moisturizers in general, as everything feels too heavy to me, and with tinted ones in particular, because it is impossible to find a suitable shade. This one is quite perfect (it "self-adjusts", you know), feels light but nourishing and is SPF 15. One irrelevant complain though, and I might be in the minority here, but I don't like seeing "Dr." on my skincare or makeup products. It makes me feel that I must be looking excessively unwell, so much so that only a prescription treatment would do. Dear future deneses, hauschkas, perricones and brandts, when seen on comsetics packaging, those abbreviations do not impress me much. Only on golden plaques next to neurosurgeons' names. HydroShield Tinted Moisturizer is available at drdenese.com, $27.50.

What new products did you discover lately? Do share!

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

RE: The Lancome eyeliner - I had the same experience with the L'Oreal H.I.P. eyeliner in a jar - it stays on no matter what. Of course L'Oreal is Lancome's less expensive sister line, so when I see great things in the Lancome line I often find similar products at the drugstore later on under the L'Oreal label. I have the H.I.P. liner in the Eggplant color and it's a winner.

I agree with you about the "Dr." brands - I don't want to feel like I need THAT much help with my face! :-)

12:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

the eyeshadow and eyeliner sound so necessary, so immediately necessary...I find eyeliners to be the ultimate trap: one looks great in them, but should they smear or smudge, oh...that looks like a nightmare.I am going to go and fetch one, in defiant insistance to have the perfect one.:->

4:03 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Well, they're not really new, they were out there for a while already, but I discovered them just few weeks ago :
1. Le Metier de Beaute : I love their nail polish (gorgeous pastell colours)and lip gloss (important for me : not sticky !)
2. Becca's "Skin Perfector" is easy to use and looks natural (you know, the "sun-kissed look without sunshine...)
3. Kanebo's Creme Foundation is my HG - easy to apply, looks absolutely natural, and it's long lasting - this is quite everything I want from a foundation. Oh, and it's packed with anti-aging ingredients...

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

For me it would be ZUZU lipstick in "Dollhouse Pink" and their gloss in " Cosmopitan"
all I need are my fishnets!

1:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
That's a good point about L'Oreal- Lancome. I need to look into L'Oreal's stuff. Love their spray tan already :-)

1:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Fabiana,
So did you fetch one? Which one? I agree with you, an eyeliner must look perfect or not be worn at all. :-)

1:55 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Melinda,
I've never even heard of Le Metier de Beaute nail polishes. *runs to google*

1:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
Just the very name Zuzu already sounds great!

1:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

marina...my inconstancy has made me gather in my drawers the following: Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in some wonderful hues, but I think it does smear in the heat. More stylized Chanel Precision in Teak, and a very potent product by a company named Oprah sold to me by a beautician in Tel Aviv - the absolute winner. A bit tricky to apply, but once you do...it won't move! One in a very deep aubergine and another in black. By Terry is there and Guerlain too, and pencils by ByTerry, Chanel, Dior, Shu Uemura, Jemma Kidd, etc. My humble verdict says: Chanel, Oprah and pencils by Shu Uemura. All debatable...:->

2:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Wow, drawers full of treasures! Curious about Oprah. Will google :-)

2:44 PM EDT  
Blogger stephaniem said...

Not new, but new to me: Dr. Hauschka's Translucent Bronze Concentrate. (Yes, another annoying doctor). I add a tiny bit to my regular sunscreen/moisturizer, and it's the only way I can get a tinted moisturizer pale enough for me.

stephaniem

11:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

stephaniem
That is such a great idea!

10:14 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home