Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, December 07, 2009

Trance Essence Perfumes

By Tom

I am constantly kind of floored at the number of people who are cooking up perfumes these days. In my opinion they're the true future of scent; as everyone from LVMH to apparently Dow-Corning are gobbling up venerable old houses perhaps it's time to draw the veil on our old loves. People like Janna Sheehan make us able to face that future with a smile.

Working out of beautiful Ojai, California, Sheehan has six scents:

Abbey Rose: described as "London in the sixties" it has the ying of grapefuit and bergamot against the yang of rose, fig and neroli. It's a great rose; the ones that Caron used to to but apparently stopped..

Whyte Rabitt: "Down a rabbit hole" with linden, banana, basil and blackberry balanced with marigold. I surprised myself by really liking this one: it's sparkling in the way that Patou Cocktail is, and that's a good thing.

Genie in a Bottle: written of as "A sultry Moroccan nightclub in the summer" it has jasmine, frankincense, vanilla, chocolate, black tea and black pepper. I want to snark "and a partridge in a pear tree", but it's beautifully done. It's not in-your-face like a Lutens, but it's quite sultry in its own right.

Chen-XI: "A Chinese mandarin garden at dawn" lists ginger, mandarin, lemongrass spearmint and lily. Oddly I find this one the most calming and "zen" of the scents- odd because citruses are supposed to be stimulating. One whiff of this and I think my blood pressure dropped 10 points..

Hail Merri: "An Indiana forest after a rain shower" according to the description, and if it's true I'm moving. It's all bergamot and oakmoss with a delightful touch of sweet pea. There's not nearly enough sweet pea fragrances in the world in my opinion, its contrapuntal appearance here makes this one my hands-down favorite of the line.

Pink Kat: is "The gardenia and rose garden from a childhood story", all innocent white flowers with a little something extra. It's a little Lolita around the edges. I like it, but I don't think I could pull it off. But I know quite a few ladies who could...

$103 for 60ML spray perfume or $52 for 1/8OZ roll-on perfume oil
Available at their website, at Bigelow Chemists in Greenwich Village or at the store Coutula on Abbott Kinney in Venice, CA (where I experienced them; this street is fast becoming the street of scents at the beach)

Image source, tranceessence.com

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, these sound very promising! I agree about the Hail Merri - sweet pea scents are few and far between but there need to be a lot more of them, which is also how I feel about wisteria in perfumes - in fact it is kissin' cousins with sweet pea, and I want more of both. I think I need Abbey Rose too.

12:35 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I think you'd like these a lot.

1:09 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Sweet pea? That is a must have for me. You're so right about there being a sad dearth of good sweet pea scents on the market. Actually, all of them sound really intriguing and I like the names. Want Whyte Rabbitt for the name alone. Thanks for reviewing these!

8:25 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At Bigelow's, really? I was puttering around there last week & noticed they've spiffed up their perfume section with several new lines. I'd like to try the genie in a pear tree one (yes, I know that's not the name but it's how I'll remember it now ....). I'm not so sure about the chocolate bit but the rest sounds lovely for a NY winter.

9:38 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

these are really nice!

11:50 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

divalano-

Bigelows is one of the places that I really miss about NYC!

11:52 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow these all sound really good and while I'm not usually a chocolate fan, the Genie in a Bottle is really calling to me.

11:32 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Genie in a bottle was verrrry nice...

4:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Kamagra said...

now you put the picture of that white rabbit, I remember the time when the most of the companies, test it products in animals, what a cruelty.

10:19 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home