Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Foodie Sunday: Wine

By Tom

Okay, this is going to be a short one since it's about 11 pm here in the Hills of Beverly and I've gotten home from a dinner party where I've had a couple of glasses of the titular beverage.

I like a glass of wine. I like hard liquor and actually enjoyed two (I know, he's so crazy) Rusty Nail cocktails at dinner on my birthday recently with friends who invited me out. But usually it's wine.  White in my case, even though I know that red is better for the heart. I will even admit that like a total philistine or a European teen I will water it. I'll even have 80's throwback moment and pour Perrier in it and a lemon slice. Sue me.

Wine is good for me because I don't capital "D" drink. I had a lethal hangover once in my early twenties and except for a couple of minor indiscretions since have resolutely endeavored not to repeat the experience. Back in the day when I was going to clubs I could nurse a Miller Lite longer than a mother could her child; I could go home and not feel like crap the next day.

So at my friends dinner they served a really nice white that tasted of apples, pears and a slight bitter hit of oak, just enough to tell you  it was wine and not juice, but not that take the enamel off your teeth feeling that some whites can get to. I'll have to ask her what it was, if she knows. She never touches the stuff.

What's your tipple of choice? If you want to chime in with anything from soda to Sazerac please comment..

Image: Internets

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Tom! I prefer the red stuff, and usually the thicker the better, but occasionally I come across a white that I adore. One of these I think you would enjoy - it's called Blanc Lime (I can't do the accent on the e!). It's lightly sparkling, quite low on alcohol and is flavoured with herbs and lime.

It comes from France and we now can't get it in the UK, so I doubt you will see it over there. However, I reckon I can conjure up a home-made version by mixing white wine with some white vermouth, adding a good squeeze and a slice of lime, then topping up with fizzy water. Serve really cold. Just right for sipping in the sun.

Jillie

2:31 AM EDT  
Blogger queen_cupcake said...

I like a glass of vermouth on ice with a splash of tonic water and lime, for summer. Lots of flavor! My favorite summer wine, though, is prosecco. For anyone unfamiliar, it is sparkling white wine from Italy. A good prosecco, well chilled is a fine alternative to champagne, and a less expensive one as well.

6:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Sunduri said...

I generally go for rich reds that aren't too acidic, mild in tannins and oak. However, during the summer, I really enjoy a homemade, from scratch (NOT from a mix) Mojito or a very cold wheat beer. I rarely get drunk and hardly ever drink enough have a hangover the next day, but I do have a glass or two of something most evenings.

7:08 PM EDT  
Anonymous Karen G said...

Love red and white, but definitely drink more white in summer. Favourites lately are off-dry reisling and gewurztraminer. Also prosecco...it's fun to jazz it up with a shot of Campari and an orange slice. Is it 5 o'clock yet?
:)

2:25 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home