Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, August 25, 2006

A Scent for Bookworms: Paul Smith Story


Three nerdy cheers for Paul Smith! The British designer launched a fragrance inspired by his love of books. Created by Natalie Gracia-Cetto of Givaudan, Story is described as a mix of fruity, floral notes, featuring a central note of Haitian vetiver. It comes in a transparent glass rectangle-shaped bottle resembling a book and is packaged in a white carton with a front flap that opens like the cover of a book. The name on the packaging and bottle is printed in the typeface taken from an old Olivetti typewriter. British model Mathias Lauridsen is the hot geek in the Story ads.

Story will be launched the UK and the US, in September and October. The line will consist of three EdTs in 30ml, 50ml and 100ml priced at €38, €46 and €58; an after shaving lotion 100ml priced at €46, after shaving balm 100ml at €24, shower gel 150ml at €22 and deodorant stick 75g at €20. At this point the masculine scent will not be accompanied by a feminine counterpart, but the brand promises to launch women's Story in about a year's time. I am going to humbly nominate myself to front the women's ad campaign. I have glasses that are way geekier than those on Mathias Laurdisen.

The news and the images are from Cosmeticnews.com.

13 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

This would seem like a scent custom made for me, combining my two great loves, books and perfumes, but I'm slightly hesitant about the fruity, floral part of the story. I remain hopeful that there will be a happy ending and that Vetiver (the hero) will vanquish the fruity, floral notes.

7:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Elle,
That's what I thought too...I guess somehow they had to make sure the scent wouldn't be too macho, since the bookish kinds aren't too macho, are they? (Thankfully.) I think there are other ways to soften a scent, but hey, maybe it will be OK? At least I think it will be wearable for a woman.

9:31 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, have you tried Paul Smith London for Women? I ask b/c the nose behind it is the nose for Parfum Sacre, my current love. I want to try it just for that reason but am not sure if I should bother to buy it since the notes seem like uninspired fruity-floral.

10:46 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
If I am thinking about the same scent (dark red, curvy bottle?), I remember being unable to wear it but admiring it. I thought it was rather dark, lush and full of oomph. I don't remember what I couldn't pull off, might be patchouli. I should revisit it.

11:14 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I love this idea, and (of course) I'm with Elle and you on the notes: Yay for the vetiver, but "fruity floral" is almost always a dealbreaker for me :(

11:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Sorry about the blogger!

Yeah, I am worried about the fruity-floral notes too, but we'll see...Masculine fruity-floral might even be interesting. I am totally predjudiced in favor of Story, because of the premise and the packaging :-)

2:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I have a definite soft spot for Paul Smith in the green bottle, so I will be stopping in the store to sniff this one soon...

6:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Which one is the green bottle? Paul Smith Men, something like that? Have you tried his London for men (or women)?

6:59 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I think it's just called Paul Smith. I believe it was his first- it's kind of unisex and green and comes in this garguantuan box. My best friend (and fellow perfume enabler) brought it back for me when you could only get in NY and London. I've never tried London for either sex; like Elle, I'm wary of fruity florals, but a scent about books? Sign me up!

(hmmm, maybe there's a review there? Mental note: Get off Melrose bus at Harper and pop in next month...)

12:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I saw it (the green one) yesterday on imaginationperfumery, the notes sound wonderful.

8:29 AM EDT  
Blogger O-Ren said...

Mathias is Danish, actually ;)

10:41 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Faith,
I kind of had a vague feelign that the name wasn't quite British :-) I guess Cosmeticnews.com generously decided to give the fair Mathias to the Brits :-)

11:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a new(?) perfume of Paul Smith at Stockholm airport this morning. I think it was called RockLove or something, blue rectangular bottle. Can't find it here in Holland. Anyone who knows about it?

1:35 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home