Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It's a Sniffathon!

Today is Mr. Colombina’s birthday and to celebrate it I decided to have a Sniffathon of masculine scents. This is not so much a present for him, because let’s face it, the man couldn’t care less about perfume, as an excuse to inject some more testosterone in the blog’s bloodstream and to finally review the scents, which have been sitting on the To Write About list for ages. There is no rhyme or reason to this list, these are the samples I randomly accumulated in my perfume drawers; neither should you expect any serious note-by-note analysis. The “reviews” are basically brief impressions, knee-jerk reactions, “I like” or “I don’t like”.

I will start with a “true American classic for the man who is ‘Always in Style’”, Gray Flannel be Geoffrey Beene.
Impression
: Unexpected! Violets, leaves, twigs. A subtler version of Violette Precieuse or Iris Bleu Gris. Elegantly understated, always appropriate.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 4 hearts

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior
Impression: Another classic. Fresh and bracing without being in the least sharp, it has that trademark Dior animalic note in the drydown that I adore.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 4 hearts

Red Delicious For Men by DKNY
Impression
: Not as bad as the women’s version. In fact, not too shabby at all. Candied, boozy, evocative of a very sweet wine, this is Le Dandy’s much less striking great-grandson.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Maybe
Score: 3 hearts

Imperial Jade - Emperor Men's by Agatha
Impression
: More candies. Too sweet, too much anise. I am very surprised that this is marketed as a men’s scent. It won’t be out of place on the shelf next to all the sugared and uninteresting girly concoctions out there.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Not really
Would I wear it: No
Score: 2 hearts

Rocabar by Hermes
Impression: Sweet, spicy, earthy, woody, you’d think, what more could she want? And yet, something is strangely lacking. It is an Almost But Not Quite scent. Not enough character for me.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 3 hearts

Quimbaya Homme by Jean Pascal
Impression
: Fresh in a savory kind of way, slightly salty and peppery. Pleasant but not interesting.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Not really
Score: 2,5 hearts

Jean Pascal by Jean Pascal
Impression
: Very smoky, unnervingly so. It makes me uneasy, I am scared of fires.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No, I’d constantly worry that something is burning
Would I wear it: Ditto
Score: 2,5 hearts

Kenzo Air by Kenzo
Impression:
Very nice! Subtle, fresh but not sharp, totally unisex. A lovely vetiver scent.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 4 hearts

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent
Impression
: Earthy patchouli and vetiver, some smoke, some spice…Sexy and cuddly. Not quite as striking as the lad in the ad, but still I wouldn’t kick it out of my perfume cabinet.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 4 hearts

Bursch by Acqua di Biella
Impression
: The name makes me think of borscht and such is the power of suggestion that I can't help but find this scent to be gourmand in a savory way. It is very spicy, the pimento note is wonderful as is the vetiver.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes, he’d smell good enough to eat
Would I wear it: Yes, although it makes me very hungry
Score: 4 hearts

Pour Homme by Azzaro
Impression: This is what I rather primitively call That Typical Men’s Perfume. It is strong, almost too strong to be pleasant to be close to. Too Wall Street Macho for me.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No
Would I wear it: No
Score: 2 hearts

Declaration by Cartier
Impression
: Now we’re talkin’! Soft wood, piquancy of cardamom, freshness and warmness all in one…aaahh, bliss!
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes, I might even be persuaded to share it with him
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 5 hearts

Centaure by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
Impression
: The name, the spiciness, the most delicious smokiness, the woody-honeyed note! This is what Miel de Bois should have been like. Incredible.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes!
Would I wear it: Yes!
Score: 5 hearts

Le Nomade by Parfums d’Orsay
Impression: Whereas Le Dandy was the most expensive cognac, warm, rich and sweet, Le Nomade is “cold” and dry. This is James Bond’s vodka martini, spritzed, not dabbed. He would like it with Russian or Polish vodka.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Pum puh rum rum puh pum puh rum rum pah … I mean, yes!
Would I wear it: Not sure, it's too much of a Bond, James Bond, not enough of a sassy Bond Girl
Score: 4 hearts

Hanae Mori for Men by Hanae Mori
Impression: Dry version of Thierry Mugler Angel. Much more appealing and wearable then the toothachingly sweet women’s version.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: I might!
Score: 3 hearts

Magnetism for Men by Escada
Impression: Another case where the men’s version of a scent is much superior to its female counterpart. It is rather on the sweet side, tame, very politically correct, but overall quite cute.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: I might!
Score: 2,5 hearts

Siberian Barber No. 1 by Novaya Zarya
Impression: This is a Russian scent, inspired by the movie The Siberian Barber. “Our Answer to Angel For Men”, it is a bizarre little gourmand scent with strawberries, chocolate, cider and god knows what else. To quote the movie tagline, "He is Russian. That explains a lot". I find it strangely appealing.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 4 hearts

Boise by Patyka
Impression: As woody as it gets and more so then even I would like. (The sniggering ones, please, get your minds out of a gutter!) Very sharp, very forceful. The smell of a newly built wooden house.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No
Would I wear it: No
Score: 2 hearts

Oud Cuir d’Arabie by Montale
Impression: Regal. Dark. Full of oomph and smoldering va va voom. Leather and oud, a union made in a 1001 Nights kind of heaven, unabridged version.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes, please!
Would I wear it: Yes!
Score: 5 hearts

Embruns d'Essaouira by Montale
Impression: When Montales are good, they are great (see above), when they are bad…they are like Embruns d'Essaouira. A jumble of unattractive, piercing notes, bland and too sharp at the same time.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No
Would I wear it: No
Score: 2 hearts

No 6 by Art of Perfumery
Impression
: I expected much more from this line and that includes No 6, but the latter is certainly the best of the bunch. Dark-ish, piney, balsamic, smoky-salty-leathery. Something is missing, but the scent is still quite nice.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 3 hearts

Basala by Shiseido
Impression: Mmm hmmm. Basala gets my firm stamp of approval. Rich, dark, spicy as all get out, it is a stunner!
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes!
Would I wear it: Yes!
Score: 5 hearts

The Dreamer by Versace
Impression: I know that this scent has lots of fans, and certainly it is the most interesting of all Versace perfumes. But…I just don’t quite get it. It is a little too much of too many good things for me. If I could just have its dirty-sweet musk note and not much else, I’d be very happy.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes-ish
Would I wear it: Not sure
Score: 3 hearts

Antaeus by Chanel
Impression: Husky, dry, gorgeous! Antaeus is not hot, it’s HAWT!
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: He should if he knows what’s good for him.
Would I wear it: Yes, although I find it so sexy, it’s actually distracting
Score: 5 hearts

Pour Monsieur by Chanel
Impression: Chanel seems to be able to do no wrong with their men’s scents, as far as I am concerned. I love this balsamic, sweetly-spicy scent, it is a beauty.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 5 hearts

Spanish Leather by Geo F. Trumper
Impression: Huh? Inexcusably boring for a leather scent.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No
Would I wear it: No
Score: 2 hearts

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
Impression: Green, fresh, breezy, evocative of water without being in the least aquatic. Created by Maurice Roucel, which is always a plus.
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: Yes
Would I wear it: Yes
Score: 3,5 hearts

Or Black by Pascal Morabito
Impression: Yes, yes, yes, yes! (Excuse me, while I’m having a Sally moment here.) I’d never let Mr. Colombina wear this outside in the fear that he’d be hit on by every female out there. In fact, I might not find it in my greedy heart to share with him this wonderful scent at all. The earthiness of patchouli, the pitch-black leather note, the breathtakingly chic overall chypre vibe…Superb!
Would I like Mr. Colombina To Wear It: No, for various selfish reasons
Would I wear it: Yes, yes, yes, yes!
Score: 5 hearts

55 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

wait a second, I thought I was injecting testosterone into this blo... er, never mind.

Great post- Eau Sauvage is a classic. the Hadrien of the 60's. Not that I'd remember. [leaving to apply firming lotion...]

11:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting to give Declaration a try; lately when I've been in Holt Renfrew (when the Cartiers are here) I kind of run through pushing my baby carriage, for fear the SAs will try and strangle me with a $600 scarf ("It's that woman who never buys anything again!!!") Of course, I've always wanted to try Or Black but do not have the moo-lah.

11:54 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy B-day, Mr c!

11:56 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, first a happy birthday to you, Mr. C.!
I hope you will know what is good for you.... You will love antaeus and what it brings with it.
Dear Marina, I loved to see your comment on Antaeus that I really like. It is so ...ah! how about a joint perfume day, celebrating your man's birthday... an Antaeus day! Enjoy!

1:10 AM EDT  
Blogger Solander said...

What a great list! (Like I needed my to-try-list to get any longer...) The only one I've tried is Aoud cuir d'Arabie, I think. I agree Montales are either very good or very bad. I've only tried 4, and at first I thought they were generally too "perfumey" for me, but then I fell in love with 3 (Patchouli leaves and Wood & spice being the other two) and loathed 1 (Vetiver des sables).

4:09 AM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Hello, my beauty-
A happy birthday to your DH !
I agree with Andy...he had best know what's good for him [and you !]

Lovely post.

May naughtiness abound...

6:21 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. C!!! I hope you gave M. a good list, too:)

And what a list she has here! Oud Cuir d'Arabie is Mr. Lily's favorite perfume (the BP part of my name is actually his, but he is willing to be Mr. Lily:) It was the first decant he liked enough to steal from me, and we now share a big bottle. Leather heaven! (he actually wanted to vote for this in MUA's top 20, but I told him that you couldn't vote for only one choice--he has since added others:) I also like Kenzo Air and M7, and I just dug out my sample of Centaure and am enjoying it very much--though I think it's 4 stars for me). But, oh, the ones to try here! Even more lemmings than usual (for me, forget him)--MUST GET Or Black--and must try Declaration and Basala, the Chanels, and some others. Thanks, I guess!

PS On the Hermes front, I like Rocabar, but I REALLY like Equipage; have you tried that?

7:24 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Hold on .... don't move ... taking notes ... (scribbling furiously).

Okay. I have some catching up to do.

7:49 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Happy Birthday Mr. C!!!
Cuir d'Arabie and Or Black are true HGs of mine. Trumper's Spanish Leather and Agatha Jade are scents I'm rather bitter about because I bought both unsniffed and was hugely disappointed in both. But I now have several new lemmings from this wonderful list of yours. Thanks!

7:54 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once, many years ago, my daughter got very sick on a major holiday (is it any other way with children?), so she needed to see a covering pediatrician. While the doctor was examining my daughter, who was blazing with fever, I was swooning at his smell. He was thinking scarlet fever, I was thinking sex. Dear reader, it was Antaeus.

8:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
That's why I said, "more". I wanted More Power! Aarghf, aarghf, aarghf, aarghf ! <-- That's my vesrion of Tim The Toolman Taylor's macho grunt :-D

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Erin,
Thank you! It took me years to finally try Declaration. Oh, the wasted years...

Oh, and sometimes are minis of Or Black on eBay for not too much moo-lah :-)

9:01 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Andy,
That's a great idea! It is probably also the only way (sharing) to interest Mr. C in wearing something new. :-)

9:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
I have a sample of Vetiver des Sables and I walk around it circles trying to master the courage to try it. Because from the vial it smells...scary. :-)

9:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Thank you!! What a great wish.

9:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Mr. Lily is a memeber of MUA?? *extremely envious*

PS. I haven't tried Equipage yet. If you say it has more va va vam than Rocabar, then I difinitely will! :-)

9:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
If you haven't tried it yet, sample Kenzo Air...both you and Mr. March might like it, I think.

9:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Thank you! And sorry about those two scents, yeah, both very disappointing. I'm especially shocked at Spanish Leather. It's leather, how could they go wrong with leather and make it so dull!

9:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear Anonymous,
Yeah, that's the power of Antaeus, I expected no less of him. To make a concerned parent not think about the sick child, only Antaeus could have that effect :-)

9:10 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Mr. Lily is NOT a member of MUA; he just wanted to vote!! He also has a terrible time with perfume names; I asked him about his favorite today, and he said, "You mean Veticuir? {frankly, I think this was spelled Vetiqueer in his mind). We figured out that he meant CuirdA, but he had conflated it with his second fave--Le Labo Vetiver. Frankly, though, I would probably buy a perfume named "veticuir"--or for that matter, "vetiqueer"--unsniffed:)

Another (somewhat irritating) DH story: he came back from the market yesterday and said "Boy, there was a woman there whose perfume smelled GREAT! Should I have asked her what it was?" Duh!!

I wouldn't say that Equipage has more oomph, exactly, than Rocabar; it just smells better on me:)

9:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ann,
Thank you!! And yeah I know how it goes...you attempt to make them try some new scent on and they are like, what's in it for me? *rolls eyes* So one has to make all the appropriate noises about how special it smells on them and how sexy it makes them. That's how I made Mr. C wear Yatagan :-D
:-)
Vie de Chateau! I like that one a lot, and have a feeling it might be my consolation bottle for not being ever able to afford Fleur de Narcisse. My rebound bottle, heh :-)

9:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I'd buy Veticuir or Vetiqueer unsniffed too! Equipage goes on the To Try List.

9:27 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

PS I just swapped for a decant of Vetiver de Sables. Now you have me scared:) Well, we shall see. . .

9:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Some things smell just so scary from the vial...I am sure it's much nicer on the skin...I hope so :-)

9:30 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy fragrant B-day Mr. C! What's in your current rotation?

Quite coincidentally, I was looking at the men's line this morning at the usual suspects of internet stores--more aftershave and bath & body stuff than perfume--for my father-in-law, and then I mosey over here, and a whole list! Many of these sound like stuff I would like my DH to try and for us to share, however (sexy & father-in-law are not words that go together, for me). Must try Be Delicious for Men if it is Le Dandy-lite. Also must try Antaeus for that mind-filled-with-sex effect ;P

Marina, do you have any suggestions for a Men's scent (preferably those that carry bath & body stuff &/after shave) for a conservative man in his sixties? Something that's not too spicy or loud or bracing. Have you tried any of the Lorenzo Villoresi line, such as Uomo or Dilmun?

9:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
I'll tell you what Mr. C has in his current "rotation": Quorum, Hummer and Yatagan :-)

As for the scent for your FIL. I haven't tried LV Uomo, sorry...The easy way to go would be to get him Eau Sauvage, unless he already has it. It's impossible to dislike, it is pretty much universal, and I am sure it would have all sorts of products that go with it. Or perhaps look into what products Declaration has? I think that one is easy to love and wear too.

9:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you M. I can't remember what Eau Sauvage smells like even though I have seen a bottle on my own father's dresser. Must go sniffing. Declaration does sound good, also.

As for Mr. C's scents, I should have known Yatagan was in there. I just looked up Quorum, and it sounds interesting...but, Hummer? Seriously? Just, no. Tell him to step away from the bottle. Okay, so I've never actually smelled the juice (how is it,BTW?). But, but...it's Hummer. I oppose it on principle! ;)

10:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Yeah, HUmmer. What's more...shameful confession here...*I* bought it for him :-D He wanted a scent that smelled like a car......

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ann,
Bois des Iles! What marvellous taste he has! :-)

10:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
Thank you very much!!

10:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Colombina! He has a good taste, just like his wife. :)

Vika

12:08 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, Vika! :-D

12:14 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, that's cute. Okay, I forgive you. ♥ ;) Does it actually smell like a car?

12:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn! Now I want some Oud Cuir d'Arabie! Plus, need to finally get my arse over to the Chanel shop to smell Antaeus. Happy Bday to Mr. Colombina!! Is he wearing a cologne today?

12:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your man! Mine is in 2 days... Us daft virgos.

As always C, you have exquisite taste - I'd agree with your stars almost completely, though I've yet to sniff any Montales.

12:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
I want some of that Oud too. At least a decant. Mr. is wearing Yatagan :-)

12:58 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, L!
The virgos...pedantic, neat, infuriating, totally adorable :-)

12:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
It doesn't smell like a car at all, not any car, not Hummer. Just a typical fresh men's colgone thing. :-)

1:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
...slather on the hubby and yourself too!
Thank you!

1:22 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Hummer?!?!?

(wets herself laughing)

I want some Vetiqueer.

4:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
:-DDDDD

4:53 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

BTW, speaking of "pedantic, neat, infuriating, totally adorable" Virgos, Mr. Lily's birthday is Friday! We have similar tastes in so many things. . . . :)

5:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Wow!
Well, I guess there is one (more) thing to be said in favor of Virgos...they have great taste :-D

Happy upcoming birthday to Leonardo and Mr Lily!

5:21 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

PS Equipage smells more masculine than Rocabar. It strikes me as more "you." However, it's still pretty refined.

10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I quote, "It strikes me as more "you." However, it's still pretty refined."...There is something in there that I probably shouldn't think too much about...:-D

10:03 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

No, no, no! What I mean is, it's still a little foofy. A guy scent in fairly loose terms. What I like about Hermes (at least the ones I've smelled) is they're missing that signature "man" note of vetiver or bergamot or whatever it is that smells like the men's frag dept at Macy's. But if you're looking for manly leather, Equipage ain't it.

10:17 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it's fantastic!

And to Mrs. Columbina: Ach, The Dreamer is one you have to be in a slightly bouncy mood for. There's something almost obnoxiously cheery in it, but when you're in that sort of mood, it's a five heart fragrance :)

11:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Dusan said...

I've known Antaeus for a long time but I fondly remember one wintry afternoon when we had the most amazing fling, an afternoon of shameless indulgence it was. However, that was the only time Antaeus let slip its cold, lavendery fa�ade and allowed me inside its warm patchouli embrace. I foolishly believed this fling of ours would grow into a lifelong passionate love affair, but I was painfully wrong. Since that day Antaeus and I have met on numerous occasions - two strangers with nothing else to say to each other.
Barbara Cartland is dead, long live Dusan Zabrdac! [hooray] :-D
Ok, I got a leeetle bit carried away :-)
M, you gave Magnetism a 2.5? I am heartbroken, I am shattered. Ay ay ay. But I forgive you because you gave 5 stars to one of my favourite scents ever - Chanel Pour Monsieur. One question though - your description suggests you're referring to the Concentr�e version, am I right? The original, which I prefer, is a citrus chypre.
You've given me a great list of (hopefully great) new loves I now must track down. As if the list I already have wasn't enough! :-) Thanks!
Last but not least - Mr. C, have a wonderful birthday and never doubt your wife's taste! [whispers] Still, give that Magnetism a try, will you? Srecan rodjendan!

12:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
"A little foofy". I love that. I am definitely going to try Equipage!

10:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
You'll laugh, but...I found Dreamer to be a sad scent somehow :-) It's like with lilac. Normal people get spring and new beginnings. I get melancholy. :-)

10:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Dusan,
Cartland and Steele don't hold a candle to you! Wow. Let me catch my breath here. Phew! :-)
So there is a concentree and non-concentree Pour Monsieur? I just have a sample that says Pour Monsieur, but something tells me it's concentree.

10:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ann,
I don't think I am familiar with T.S. Elliot enough to be influenced that much :-) I find mimosa to be melancholy too, BTW :-) It just my Eyeor-ish nature.

12:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, S!
I actually have a sample of Baladin, will try it today!

8:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous Cologne Lover said...

To my nose, M7 has an almost grape like quality that permeates the whole experience. There also may be some rosemary that creates a somewhat cough medicine feel. The base is nice and warm soft woody vanilla.

Azzaro Pour Homme is a great classic to my nose. It does not resemble the current type of colognes. Much more herby and interesting with lavender, clary sage, anise on a lovely clear ambergris base.

2:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous Discount Mens cologne said...

This is wonderfull Post that you have publish on this site

12:46 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home