Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Perfume Review: Guerlain Metallica / Metalys

Today Ina of Aromascope and I are reviewing Guerlain’s Metallica a.k.a. Metalys. We decided to write about the scent on the same day mainly to amuse you with contrasting opinions our reviews will undoubtedly present. You see, Ina Gets It, and I Don’t. I feel rather inferior and in a minority of one when faced with what seems to be universal love for Metallica. For example, look at the high score the fragrance gets at MakeupAlley. Or read a beautiful review on Bois de Jasmin, in which Victoria talks about “carnations set in gold”, the perfume “alight with amber”, displaying “the same golden glow that bathes the figures and the landscapes in the paintings by Titian.”

On my skin, Metallica refuses to exhibit the magic it generously shares with others. It smells on me like an unremarkable mix of Guerlain’s Terracotta Voile d’Ete and I Profumi di Firenze Talco Delicato. From the former, it borrows the dainty, pale carnations, from the latter, the sweet, vanillic powderiness. The attractive ylang-ylang note that appears in the beginning does not stay long, and when it leaves, it takes away all the sumptuousness and richness the scent could have possessed. Apart from ylang-ylang’s untimely departure, Metallica does not undergo much development on my skin. If I try really hard, I sort of sense a certain ambery dirtiness in the drydown, which most self-respecting Guerlain scents are supposed to have, but that’s about it. Carnations, a touch of rose and a lot of vanilla are all I get. If carnations were brighter and spicier or / and if the vanilla note was deeper and richer, if the amber was more forceful, perhaps I would have been more moved by Metallica. As it is, the only exciting thing about this pretty fragrance is its (unlucky for Guerlain) association with Metallica the rock group. I spritz and immediately there comes the earworm:


Musha rain dum-a-doo dum-a-da, ha, ya
Whack for my daddy-o
Whack for my daddy-o
There's whiskey in the jar-o
Yeah, whiskey, yo, whiskey...
Oh-oh, ya


So please click here, listen to one of my favorite Metallica songs and then go to Aromascope to enjoy a review written by someone who appreciates and loves this scent.

Metallica, now sold under the name Metalys, is available in Guerlain’s boutique in Paris, €130.00 for 125ml. Bottles of Metallica often appear on eBay and cost anywhere from $200.00 to $400.00.

The image is from aromat.ru.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But think how much money and time you save by not stalking ebay for it, M. I thank you for doing the same for me, though that could change if (or, let's face it, when) I go over to read Ina's review. :(

6:06 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

You've chosen the wiser path. I shall be reading your review out loud to my skin chemistry later so that it can see that it must react in the same way yours does. Smart, smart woman.

7:19 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, I think I'm on the other side of the fence here. I do think this is beautiful, and I'm glad to own it. But, if it makes you feel better, I don't wear it a whole lot:)

7:21 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Ha, EFT! This one blooms on me, a scent (as I posted with Ina) that is a less-candied version of my swoony Philtre d'Amour.

However, Voilette was a total flop on me.

7:54 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
It will change as soon as you try it. For one, it's powdery. And I am sure it will do its magic on your skin. Of all people in the world, it has chosen not to work for me and me alone *sulks*

9:29 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
If I agree with you, my agreement would loudly stink of sour grapes. :-)

9:30 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I wonder if there will be one, one single person to say that it doesn't work for her/him either? Tom? Patty? Bueller?

9:31 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Now Philtre d'Amour is something I Get. And I like Voilette.
And let me tell you what else is totally meh on me...ready? ...Plus Que Jamaias :-(

9:33 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, I'm not crazy about Plus que Jamais, either. It's OK, but too sweet really for my tastes. So, I hope that helps:)

9:42 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, Judith, it helps! :-)

9:51 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
HURRAY! :-)

9:52 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Trying to decide if I "get it" or not. I think it is just lovely; I have no desire to own it. Have a feeling that means I don't get it, LOL...

11:21 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I haven't tried it myself, but carnation and I aren't the best of friends.

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

I remember writing the PQJ was a delicate, powdery scent on me and slaying someone (Ina?) who I guess finds it very strong...

12:24 PM EST  
Blogger IrisLA said...

I like, but don't adore, this scent. Metalys doesn't blossom on my skin as much as my favorite scents. Nevertheless, I'm glad I have a bottle. I enjoy the combination of carnation and vanilla.

12:43 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Robin,
I selfishly choose to think you "don't get" it. More people on "my side". :-)

2:15 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Same here. Unless it is dark-red, super-spicy, warm carnations like in Caron's Poivre.

2:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
That's what I feel about PQJ too, and when I told that to Ina, she thought I was joking! :-)

2:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Iris,
I would love to have that beautiful bottle just for the bottle's sake :-)Do you know what Metalys bottle looks like?

2:17 PM EST  
Blogger IrisLA said...

Colombina, My Metalys bottle is the classic bee bottle nestled inside a large gold box.

4:44 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
That was such a beautiful review. I wish I could smell what you are smelling.

I too would pick Guet Apens over metallica or anything else, any day :-)

5:08 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Iris,
Ah, that's gorgeous!

5:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, have you done the count yet? Who wins? ;)

5:56 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Robin, Patty and I win, because we get to save So Much Money *blows raspberry*
:-)

6:01 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! It's all so relative, that money saving thing. ;D

6:22 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home