Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Notes from Michael Kors: Glenplaid, Houndstooth and Tattersall

I was browsing Style.com, and came upon the 2001 article by Jane Larkworthy, called Michael Kors: The Mix Master. It related the story behind the creation of three Kors fragrances, of which I have only vaguely heard before, and about which there is very little information on the web, called Notes from Michael Kors - Glenplaid, Houndstooth and Tattersall. Apparently, in 2001 Michael Kors decided to release scents inspired by his Fall collection. That collection was described by Kors himself as "posh country" (the style that, I will admit, I love) and "a luxe graphic take on equestrian chic." Together with Camille McDonald, president and CEO of Michael Kors Fragrances, Kors “dissected the Michael fragrance, searching for the notes they thought best corresponded to the plaids. Ultimately, three new scents were created, poured into separate bottles, wrapped up in a tattersall lining and packaged together under the name Notes From Michael, with a personal missive from the master himself explaining the concept. And, as with the ready-to-wear line, mix and match is the name of the game. "Just as my client feels the freedom to wear the tank top with the ball gown, we want her to feel the same liberty with these three notes," Kors says. "Dressing to her particular style is how a woman really lives."

Glenplaid is a fabric featuring a woven design of small and large checks. The name glen plaid was derived from the valley of Glen Urquhart in Inverness-shire, Scotland. Glen Plaid is often nicknamed the Prince of Wales check. According to Basenotes, Kors Glenplaid has notes of tuberose, white musk and lotus.

Houndstooth design is small, distinctively broken-check pattern that resembles the jagged back teeth of a hound (think Dior). According to Basenotes, Kors Houndstooth has notes of freesia, Japanese pearl blossom and ylang ylang

Tattersall is a fabric with an over check, approximately one half inch square made with colored lines in both directions with a contrasting background. Again, according to Basenotes, Kors Tattersall has notes of leather, cedar, amber and bourbon, and this is of course the one I would like to try the most.


If you have tried any of these three scents, please share impressions!

The first images is from fashionwindows.com

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
Reeeeally? I somehow didn't expect to hear they were good. :-) I got Tattersall for next to nothing last night, can't wait to try. I also saw Glenplaid. Houndstoth seems harder to find for bargain prices :-)

3:38 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I'd be definitely interested in Glenplaid. I love my "very british" jacket made from Glenplaid - in usual I wear Dzonghka with it (which is not a bad match) but of course "Glenpaid" would be the real thing...

4:26 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lady Jane,
I got some Tattersall (hope it arrives soon!), if it smells OK :-), I will look for Glenplaid too.

4:31 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colombina, i'm very curious about your opinion to Tattersall - pls let me know when it arrives.
love,
ljg

11:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I definitely will!

11:29 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home