My Top 25
The Fragrance Board of Makeupalley, of which I am a loyal member, is in the midst of voting for the Top 25 Perfumes of 2007. The 2006, 2005, and 2004 results are fun to read...the Evil POTL was Top 1 scent twice; hopefully its cloying, ambery reign will end this year. I submitted my Top 25 yesterday and decided to share it with you, because I want you to share yours with me, because I think that Lists Are Fun, and because I hope that posting my list will prevent me from rethinking, editing and resubmitting it. It was very hard to rank the scents, they are all No 1 in my heart.
1. Dzing by L'Artisan. The number-one-est of them all. Sweet Circus Leather, it reminds me of the most wonderful time of my life, and just generally... completes me.
2. Diorama by Christian Dior. Supreme elegance and shocking dirtiness. Everything I love in perfume, everything I admire about Roudnitska's creations.
3. Messe de Minuit by Etro. My savior, the keeper of my sanity, the loyal companion of my moody days. It soothes, centers me...It also layers fantastically well with many, many scent. My favorite combo is Messe plus Yatagan, I call it my I Hate The World combo. Messe de Minuit is also great layered with dark rose scents like A Maze, and with pure-white floral blends like Casablanca.
4. Le Jasmin by Annick Goutal. Jasmine Champagne. Sparkling, effervescent, intoxicating. One of the most beautiful jasmine fragrances I know.
5. Guet-Apens by Guerlain (or Attrape-Coeur, I am not fussy). Soft glamour, golden shimmer, warmth and comfort.
6. Eau Noire by Christian Dior. Like Messe de Minuit, this, to me, is comfort scent extraordinaire. Meditative, tranquil, and, as a bonus, very elegant.
7. Muscs Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens. Animalic refinement. Refined beast of a musk. Sex in a bottle.
8. Casablanca by Antica Farmacista. The one lily scent that is not cold, Casablanca is creamy, warm, slightly spicy and enveloping.
9. L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan. Soft and husky, elegant and wild...my sexy, comforting pirate of a scent.
10. Diorling by Christian Dior. Auster and sensual, this dry, leathery chypre is probably one of the most refined scents ever created.
11. Miss Dior. When I don't know what scent to wear, I wear Miss Dior. Like Dzing, it completes me.
12. Chanel No. 22. If I could turn back time, I would have gotten married wearing Chanel No 22, this breathtaking aldehydic white floral with an unexpected, wonderful incense accord.
13. Chanel No. 18. Another scent that feels absolutely "right" when I put it on. It is "my" scent, it feels like "me", it is about about me, it was created for me. Sorry, everyone else who loves it, No. 18 is all mine.
14. 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel. Complex, indescribably, utterly gorgeous and soft. Divine.
15. L'Arte di Gucci. My "Rich Bitch" scent to wear with very high heels, diamonds, furs and an attitude.
16. Daim Blond by Serge Lutens. The softest and most expensive of all suedes. Absolute elegance.
17. Flowerbomb Extreme by Viktor & Rolf. So pretty, so sweet, so smooth, such a hit with Mr Colombina. Adore it.
18. Cashmere by Cristiano Fissore. Warm and cold, soft and a little "scratchy", this is my favorite bedtime scent and a perfect fragrance to wear with a ladylike cashmere twinsets in tasteful pastel colors.
19. Jasmal by Creed. Cold, breezy, intoxicating. I crave it so much I could just drink it or swim in it.
20. Rousse by Serge Lutens. Rousse went from "meh" to Top 25 in a couple of short months. Its understated, dry spices, its soft, enveloping woods are extremely attractive. Serge, I take back what I said before. I was wrong.
21. Black by Bvlgari. Annick Menardo at her absolute best. Vanilla that is not fluffy and sweet. Leather that is not in the least harsh, but actually soft and very comforting.
22. Black Orchid by Tom Ford. I realize that I am one of, oh, 5 or 7 people in the world for whom this striking, complex, sultry blend works like a charm. Dark, enveloping, exotic, luxurious, Black Orchid is a stunner.
23. Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire. My sexy biker-sultan. Gasoline, leather and orris, tres chic!
24. Vacances by Jean Patou. Spring, bottled. Lilac, mimosa, heartbreaking, fragile beauty.
25. Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan. Cold, aloof incense. When I wear it, it envelopes me like a grey cloud that protects me from the worldly troubles.
Honorable mentions go to Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie, Jean Patou Colony, MDCI FK3/ Enlevement au Serail, Hermes Parfum des Merveilles, Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, Parfums de Nicolai Vie de Chateau and Vanille Tonka, Parfumerie Generale Psychotrope, Guerlain Muguet, Annick Goutal Le Muguet, Christian Dior Diorissimo and Juozas Statkevicius.
It is your turn now, please share your favorites!