Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Perfume Review: Nasomatto Fragrances

Review by Tom

Patty was kind enough to send me these, with an accompanying note to diss away if I felt like it. Normally, I would skewer any perfumer with such a well-developed hype (they have a "manifesto" which reads in part "I take advantage of your sexual essence"; please, spare me), but I happened to like these, so I'll let (most of) the hyperbole pass:

Absinthe

Ad copy aside (aims to evoke degrees of hysteria? WTF?) After an intitial blast of what smelled like milk chocolate (which is guaranteed to keep me from hysteria) I get sweetish vetiver with angelica. The vetiver never gets harsh, but as the fragrance develops, there is a sweet woodiness to it that is absolutely capivating. Great sillage too. A winner.

Duro

Duro means strong, which is good since this one "aims to enhance all the manifestations of male strength (surely not all?) Nice strong herby leather that doesn't waver very much in its development; it's a broad-shouldered scent in the classic mens scent-sense, but more potent.

Narcotic Venus

Celebrating the "overwhelming addictive intensity of female sexual power" (big job for such a small bottle), this is a big perfume. Big white flowers: tuberose, jasmine and lily being equally indolic. It does remind me of a couple of other scents, most notably Fracas. Whether that is a plus or a minus is up to you to decide: if you like Fracas, you'll like this. the question is, if you like Fracas, do you need this?

Hindu Grass

"The result of a quest for the warm affection of humanity", Hindu Grass starts with what I swear is chocolate and rubber. Then it becomes herby, like Absorbine Jr. There's patchouli as well. Scared yet? Don't be: it's absolutely marvelous, easily my favorite of the bunch. There's grassiness, but it's more like uncured tobacco than grass. This one actually more than lives up to the hype.

Silver Musk

"The result of a quest for mercurial liquid love sensation" (somebody did not get enough hugs growing up....) Clean skin-musk with a nice soapiness. There's a bare hint of white flowers in there and a wisp of smoke. Certainly the most accessible of the bunch: it's not the musk I'd reach for, but for those who like a slyer must, this is a nice one.

I don't know what it is about these the bug me slightly. Perhaps it's just the copy being so purple- the scents range from "oh, that's nice" to "check okay?". I suppose after lately being bombarded with hype ranging from the playfully obscene to the truly soul-crushingly stupid (CKn2u, yes I am looking at you) I find myself less and less able to wade through it to care about the fragrances, especially if they are going to give me something as vapid as, oh I don't know, CKn2u? Luckily, these boys have delivered some fine juice: now if they could just build a decent website with an e-store maybe we could get down to the actual purchase of their goods. That is the point, yes? Or have we come to a marketing strategy end-game: something so exclusive that nobody can have it?

Nasomatto insists this site is their distributor, I however was unable to find anything about them on it. A further google searching led me here, where they are 90eu for 30ml.

27 Comments:

Blogger lilybp said...

The ad copy is ridiculous, but I am in love with Absinth. I ran through my decant, finally caved (didn't really take so long), and bought a bottle. Really liked Hindu Grass as well (now I'm wondering if I should get more of this:) Narcotic Venus was also good--though perhaps, as you suggest, not so original. I am pretty sure there is something I cannot smell in the Duro; I don't smell too much, anyway. And I agree with your assessment of Silver Musk. In fact, we are pretty much in agreement on all things. . . .Always nice.:)

10:24 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Adding--I think the reason I am not quite as crazy about Hindu Grass as you are is that it reminds me (strongly) of another fragrance. But I can't think of what. I hate that. Someone, please, tell me what it reminds me of!

PS I took your advice and "donated" my French Lover to DH (he keeps his scents where I can use them:). Now, he wants to buy more when we go to Paris. He is being slowly suuuuuucccccckkkked in.

10:53 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Judith-

I agree with you, but I think that Hindu Grass edges out Absinth for me. They are really good scents: they just need to drop the goofball ad copy and get the product out there. Le Labo has a decent website that does a good trade-off between looking cool and actually letting you try the stuff. If there is some EU-type reason that they can't do that, then get someone.

Why am in such a mood?

10:59 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lily-

I know exactly what you mean- it's that scent that I think is Absorbine Jr. It reminds me of something else as well but I cannot place it. Anybody?

Definitely get it in France- I am so happy that I got the bottle reading (and one must pronounce it this way) french luhhv-aaaaaahhh. Bois d'Orage just doesn't do it for me.

11:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hunk.

I'm glad something is taking advantage of your sexual essence, but doesn't it know that you're going to overwhelm it?

Avoided this. Must rememdy that. I've got too much remedial work to do this week. I want to move up a grade.

3:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't tried any of these and am not likely to do so anytime soon. Not that I wouldn't, if they came my way, but I don't intend to get off my lazy backside to procure them! However, Hindu Grass sounds as if it might be similar to SMN Fieno (which, according to the SA who wrapped it up for me, smells like the grass mats in Indian homes, whose fragrance - mats, not homes - are carried throughout the house when you walk over them. So maybe the name Hindu Grass makes me think of Fieno). Which, in turn, reminds me of Bois Blond. Which would be a reason to lift my lazy bum and go looking for Hindu Grass...

3:33 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

J--thanks for the suggestions, but no. On me, at least, Hindu Grass is primarily a patch scent--a dry, grassy, herby patch scent perhaps, but a patch scent nevertheless.

6:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Divina said...

Hey Tom, thanks for the reviews :) I am probably not motivated enough to seek samples of those myself at the moment, but I do love the bottles.

7:24 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

1) I take advantage of your sexual essence ... with milk chocolate and angelica? Good luck with that, bub, is all I've got to say.

2) Maybe it depends on where you SPRAY the Duro, like that benzocaine stuff.

3) Narcotic Venus -- what a waste of a really great name ("Oh, this fragrance? It's called Narcotic Venus."
".... uh, what?")

4) I just love a man who knows what Absorbine Jr. smells like. Want to run away together?

7:39 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I liked these. A lot. And I'm hard pressed to explain why I don't feel compelled to get bottles or even decants of them, but I don't. There wasn't an emotional connection for me w/ them. But I think I'm going to have to retry Narcotic Venus.

7:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

They bug you "slightly"?? But they have a "manifesto" full of crappola! I am staying far far away as I still have ulcers after dealing with Etats :-)

On an entirely different note. How great was the Top Chef thingie yesterday! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved that Marcel won the quick fire with Saffron!! Foam!! :-) And oh my god, my head was exploding from all the, I am sure unintentionally, funny moments there: "one arm, two eggs, 10 mins" (Sam), Elan with that blender ... I cannot wait to see what the bloggers like Amuse Biaytch will do with those moments. :-)

8:20 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lee-

I think you'd like a couple of these.

You'd overwhelm it
too...

11:02 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

dinazad-

They are worth a try. The bottles are way cool looking in that 60's modern kind of way too (not that I've seen them in person) If they show up at Luckyscent I'll be happy.

11:05 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Judith-

Patch only? Not so much.

11:06 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Divina-

You might try these- they are good.

11:09 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

1) I know! Right!?!

2) Oh you!

3) Really!

4) Yes!

11:12 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I know! I had the same reaction: I liked a couple but was not moved. I wonder why?

11:13 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marina-

Well, I think I forgave them a bit because the actual product was nice and the website was only marginally horrible, as opposed to SIP's website, the platinum standing of teeth-grindingly unusability

11:17 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Oh, and as far as "Top Chef"

Baby Wolverine and the Return of the Foam! What's not to love?

11:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

They were fun. Absinth is the one I adore. The other four were fine, I'd definitely wear them, but only absinth did "it" for me.

Their ad copy is horrific. I just wonder who dreams this stuff up and what planet they're from.

1:16 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Patty-

I don't know.

I wish they'd return to their home world.

7:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barneys New York now carries all five of the scents!

10:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are now available at luckyscent.com, as full bottles or samples. I believe the set of five samples is $25.
Narcotic Venus seems more flirtatious than narcotic to me. It doesn't have the full-blown flowers and unabashed tuberose of Fracas; it is lighter, more green, with some underlying musk. Pretty, but not especially compelling. It reminds me a bit of Kate Spade's first fragrance.
By the way, "Duro" means "hard" -- in keeping with Nasomatto's boastful copy.

9:14 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The founder of Nasomatto is going to be making a personal appearance at Barney's New York in NYC this Sunday (Feb. 3)from 2-5 pm. Based on the ad copy alone, he must be an interesting character...can't wait to meet this guy in person!

1:23 PM EST  
Blogger Omniryx said...

Any male who says that he "adores" fragrances ought to be cautious about faulting a maker for his purple prose. I've been gay all my whole life long; a collector of fragrances all that time. Never have I needed to "adore" anything...not even my long-suffering partner, who thinks that Aqua Velva is dangerously exotic.

My bitchy quibbling aside, Duro is wonderful, Hindu Grass only slightly less so. The others are a bit saccharine for my taste.

9:59 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have fallen in LOOOOOOVE with DURO!! I actually love them all except I am not much for Silver musk.. not big on musks thou.. I bought my on Narcotic venus at www.luckyscent.com

4:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have fallen in LOOOOOOVE with DURO!! I actually love them all except I am not much for Silver musk.. not big on musks thou.. I bought my on Narcotic venus at www.luckyscent.com

4:31 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home