Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday Tag

Perfume-Smellin' Things and Aromascope decided to start the week on a fun note and tagged each other. Ina asked me to find perfume-"matches" for the following movies, paintings, outfits and celebrities. My answers are below; please click over to Aromascope to find out how Ina dealt with the matching tasks I gave her.

Tag 1. If this movie was a perfume, what perfume would it be?

PsychoThe presence of Mrs Bates lives in her son's disturbed mind and dominates his life just like his mother must have dominated it when she was alive. So I believe that, if Psycho was a perfume, it would be the one that Mrs Bates would have worn. I am thinking powdery, I am thinking intrusive. I am thinking Worth Je Reviens.

Saturday Night Fever

The largely unsentimental portrayal of the disco era requires a scent that is also very 1970s. I believe Tony Manero would have loved Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur. Just look at the bottle!

The Others

This is one of my favorite horror movies. Kidman's heroine seems extremely prim and proper, repressed even, on the outside, but inside her lurks darkness. I think the outwardly refined and "buttoned up" Chanel No 22, with its dark undertone, would be perfect.

Tag 2. If this painting was a perfume, what perfume would it be?

Dance in the City by Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Beautifully old-fashioned, soft and romantic...Caron N'Aimez Que Moi

Moonlit Night. A Village by Isaac Levitan

Dark, earthy, mossy, woody, almost malevolent...Tom Ford Moss Breches

The Café Terrace on the Place du Forum, Arles, at Night by Vincent van Gogh

This painting would be a perfume that I would have worn if I were sitting in the café, a golden, elegant, romantic Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle.

Tag 3. If this outfit was a perfume what perfume would it be?

Chanel Haute Couture 2007

If this was a perfume, it would be the kind that swathes the wearer in feathery, fluffy heliotrope and vanilla accord. In other words, it would be Guerlain Cuir Beluga.

Marc Jacobs Ready to Wear 2007

Elegant and luxurious, but not quite interesting enough to seem truly original...Space NK Melodrama.

Valentino Haute Couture 2007

Girly-twirly-pink done haute couture style...MDCI Rose de Siwa.

Tag 4. Pick a perfume for this celebrity:

Cher

I Believe that Dark Lady Cher is Strong Enough to wear a heavy, spicy oriental scent like Yves Saint Laurent Opium. In fact, I think that Opium is her Mirror Image (I'll stop now).

John Lennon

I am thinking something original, I am thinking Japanese, I am thinking minimalistic, I am thinking White Room. I am thinking Comme des Garcons White.

Vladimir Putin

I heard that Putin wears Amouage Gold for Men, or at least that he was given it as a present. I, however, imagine him in something understated, in a fragrance that is classic and a little strange...maybe even a little sinister. I imagine him in Caron Le 3eme Homme.

Please visit Aromascope to read Ina's matches.

35 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

I love this- I would have defaulted "Psycho" as Human Existence: the scent of Norman Bates' insanity..

11:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ochen interesno. For the Van Gogh cafe in Arles I would have gone with Ava Luxe Cafe Noir. In fact I can smell it just looking at the painting. For Putin, I'd have to go with something much more sinister, something that starts out sunny but then wallops you on the head and puts you in prison and won't let you leave. Oh, I know: Aquolina Blue Sugar! :-)

12:53 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm, thanks for the Cher earworm. I'll now have a favourite of tacky wedding discos buzzing in my ear all day.

Nyyyyyyyyyarrgggh! ;-P

1:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go with Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds for Psycho - nauseating and claustrophobic. When I smell it even in extreme dilution I nearly panic, and start looking around for the exits.

I think maria really has something there for Putin. ;-)

Fun idea - and the Saturday Night Fever/Pierre Cardin bottle matchup is a classic!

2:20 AM EDT  
Blogger Bryan said...

Utterly imaginative and perfectly right on! I especially loved the Valentino/Rose de Siwa. You have a gift girl.

4:04 AM EDT  
Blogger rosarita said...

Saturday Night Fever/Pierre Cardin is so perfect I almost spit my morning coffee all over my keyboard...love it when you and Ina do these things, you're both brilliant.

7:12 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Wonderful choices! I am fascinated by that Chanel outfit (not in a good way:) And I am so pleased to see the lovely NqM get a mention (it is so often forgotten)--I think I will wear some of my vintage now!

8:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
You are genius! Of course, HE!

8:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
Spasibo! :-)
I have a soft spot for Putin, and I'm not just saying because They might be listening :-D

8:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
Which one? :-) I've been singing Strong Enough all weekend, after writing this. :-)

8:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Flora,
ETWD is perfect, definitely. Oh, I just thought of something else perfect for Psycho...Obsession!!

8:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Brya,
You are as always very kind! Thank you!

8:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anita,
Thank you so much :-D

8:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
That outfit is , um...yeah...I don't know., is she a bird? Is she an egg? Who can tell!
I've been treasuring a vintage samples of NA that *you* sent me. It is so beautiful, I don't feel I can live up to that with a review :-)

8:42 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

Fab idea and inspired choices! Just wanted to say I've been quiet for a while (and will be for a bit longer) as horrendously busy. But I'm reading and appreciating if not commenting. Thanks for some wonderful diversions!

9:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
You've been missed! Hope the busy-ness goes away and have some time to enjoy the rest of the summer.

9:44 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

These were wonderful matches! I particularly like Psycho and Pierre Cardin...

I am trying really hard to parse your "I have a soft spot for Putin" comment.

ARE they listening? Gad, they must be getting sleepy, hearing about perfume all the time...

10:17 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
They never sleep.
:-)

10:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your picks! Rose de Siwa is perfect for that dress. And for Putin, I'd pick something a bit more sinister, too. Maybe Anarchiste? Which of course would be contradictory to what Putin is all about but oh well.

11:10 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
You made me think now...what IS the most sinister scent?

11:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Le Labo Patch?

11:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Amongst Le Labos my pick would be Vetiver, I think. It's kinda sinister :-)

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, yeah. That one, too.

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Perfect choices, one and all, especially the John Lennon/White and the N'Aimez Que Moi. In the latter, my Holy Grail perfume is paired with one of my favorite artists, Renoir!

I'd love to visit the 19th century - provided I could bring my civil rights, my dentist, and a supply of antibiotics with me.

12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Elizabeth,
If all those are provided, I am coming too :-)

12:02 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pleased when Iris Poudre is honored in any way. :) Very fun Monday post!

12:17 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

P,
It pleases me too, that's why I honor it at any opportunity :-)

12:25 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed very much reading this Monday tag and I think you illustrated all the runway/paintings/faces beautifully with the bottles pics :-)!
a little tag of mine, for you:
Which fragrances would the following persons best suit (no matter what they actually wear): Kristin Scott Thomas; Gwyneth Paltrow; Monica Belucci; Cate Blanchett; Eva Green; Aerin Lauder; Katie Holmes Cruise; Hercule Poirot (answer if you can be bothered, of course. but I find this so much fun!, reading your answers that is.)

3:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina
Ooh, this is fun! OK:

Kristin Scott Thomas - En Avion

Gwyneth Paltrow - White Linen in all its incaranations

Monica Belucci - Coco

Cate Blanchett - Mitsouko

Eva Green - Rose Barbare

Aerin Lauder - hmm, Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia :-)

Katie Holmes Cruise - Escape :-)

Hercule Poirot - Rochas Mustchache

What do you think?

3:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this is more difficult than I thought.
Kristin Scott Thomas: AT Le Maroc pour elle (remember her in English Patient, the desert scenes? she could not wear anything else. period.)
Gwyneth Paltrow: something white florally for day, maybe Marc Jacobs or Carnal Flower. for slightly disturbed roles, like in The Royal Tennenbaums, she'd wear Bellodgia or Shalimar.
Monica Belucci: agree on Coco, also Dolce&Gabanna Femme (red cap).
Cate Blanchett: SL Clair de Musc, or maybe Iris Silver Mist; she's just so ethereal.
Eva Green: Messe de Minuit.
Aerin Lauder: something blah, with not much color (like she is), maybe EL Pleasures or if I'm being nice, En Passant.
Katie Holmes Cruise: I just really can't imagine her wearing anything. don't know, I have a feeling that Tom prefers her au naturel :-DDD.
Hercule Poirot: I think that Chergui would really really suit his dandy-esque look and gentleman behavior.

3:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
Great choices, very interesting! Love the idea of ISM for Blanchette.

3:59 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Cracked up at "Elegant and luxurious, but not quite interesting enough to seem truly original...Space NK Melodrama." -- great post!

7:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you, Robin! :-)

7:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is genius! you should do these every week!

8:06 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Thank you! :-) Maybe I could talk into Ina into it...

8:13 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home