Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, April 11, 2008

Perfume Review: Santa Maria Novella Patchouli

Patchouli madness continues along with re-discovery of previously under-appreciated lines of fragrances. I have never had much luck with Santa Maria Novella's creations, and it is ironic that I should find a new interest in the line because of its rendition of the formerly disliked note.

Patchouli starts very earthy, with the kind of raw-moist-soil feel that both attracts and scares me in patchouli scents. The sharp, dark, brooding beginning is also strikingly masculine. Within a couple of minutes, however, the fragrance begins to soften, acquiring a creamy, dare I say, floral feel, as if sweet blossoms like tuberose and/or ylang-ylang were included in the blend. There is also soft spiciness (nutmeg? truly I am just making wild guesses here, um, as usual) that goes really well with "flowers". I find this reverse sort of development (from strong to soft, from dark to light) incredibly compelling. Experiencing the development of SMN Patchouli is like watching a figure dressed in a severely masculine costume strip off clothes revealing a very feminine, very voluptuous form underneath.

Patchouli is available at Lafco, $96.00 for 100ml.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

I am metaphorically putting my fingers in my ears, going "La La La" especially since there is a store on Melrose Place that I have managed to convince my checkbook that I don't need to visit.

Oy.

And this when I am going through a patchouli phase..

I think there should be a retirement comminunity for us perfume people; imagine that!

1:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
If they establish a community like that, I am there. I am ready to retire anyway.

6:40 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Oh, oh, oh! I am the oldest-I get to go to the perfume retirement home first!

This is another one I haven't tried; maybe I will this w/e (although I think I will NOT be there on Sunday, when they visit Lafco; still, there are always some SMNs at Tak).

See you soon (I hope).
J

7:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Erin said...

I don't really remember this one, but I like some of the sneezy SMN types. I've been wearing Poutpourri lately and enjoying it. There's nothing quite like some of the SMNs - but they do remind me in spirit of some of the more unusual Diptyques, like Eau Lente and L'Autre.

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I am sure they have it at Tak. See you later!

6:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Erin,
I agree, Marescialla or Potpourri could be Diptyques.

6:52 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home