Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Perfume Review: Jean Patou Forever

Ever since Tom mentioned macaroons in his review of Kiki, I have been on a hunt for something elegantly sweet to eat and something sophisticatedly sweet to wear. I have yet to find the former but I happily recognized the latter in Patou's fairly obscure gem of a scent, Forever. With its leisurely, indolent, joyous vibe, the perfume also hit the right spot in that it reminded me that vacation is just around the corner.

The fruity accord of pineapple, raspberry and melon is creamy, ripe, with a distinct boozy undertone. These are fruits gone bad, i.e into the liquor territory. And when fruits go bad, I go right after them. A very subtle floral undertone attempts to create a ladylike appearance but fails. Vetiver prevents the fragrance from being too sweet and adds a certain breezy feel to the blend, a certain salty freshness. Forever makes me think of sun reflected on the dazzling blue surface of an ocean, of barely-there bikinis, of white sand, of exotic cocktails, of skin smelling faintly of sea water and sunscreen ...it makes me long for the state of happy oblivion that is a perfect vacation.

This escapist fragrance can be found online for as cheaply as $19.99 for EDT. Parfum, which is what I reviewed, is harder to find but is very much worth the effort.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

This sounds so yummy!

I think I won't touch "fruits gone bad".. Oh what they heck! I AM a fruit gone bad!! (tee hee!)

11:06 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh..boozy. boozy like POTL Amaze??
I don't mind escapist fragrances(and books- though I end up being picky about both..)..:)

11:50 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea why I said 'boozy like Amaze?' when they have no notes in common..Its just that boozy (and jammy) reminds me of amaze and that reminds me that I need to eat my arm (with Amaze on it)..lol

11:53 PM EDT  
Blogger Madelyn E said...

What year was this fragrance created ? I love the "old" ones.

12:26 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruits gone bad, eating your own arm, what violence perfume will drive us to!

1:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Haha, you made me LOL early in the morning :-)

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
I guess the "amount" of booziness is about the same, but of course, given the notes, this is a different "kind" of booziness :-)

8:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
Amaze is sweeter, imho, and overall stronger.

8:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Madelyn,
I think it is fairly recent.

8:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Quinn,
We are a crazy bunch, we are :-)

9:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahahah, love Tom's comment :)

I really can't spend any more money this month on perfume, but I did want to say thanks for bringing Habanita to my attention recently. It arrived this morning and I LOVE it. I've sampled a huge variety of scents recently, guided largely by you and this blog, and it's been so interesting, but I was suprised to realise looking back that I've not found many "must haves". Habanita is one of them for me - I won't be dreading the winter quite so much, now, with this in my kit-bag! Best wishes - Emma

11:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Emma,
With Habanita on your side, you don't have to dread anything :-)

1:06 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jean Patou Forever sounds delightful. I have to try it.

3:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jane
It is definitely worth a try.

4:38 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this scent is as delectable as your prose, Marina, it must be divine!

12:10 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
You say the nicest things!

1:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a perfume or some recipe?This fragrance sound so yummy.

2:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous sorana said...

I received this perfume as a present. My favourite is Joy, but I have to say Patou Forever works for me. Passionate & daring & romantic & feminine. I'm starting to love it.

3:03 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home