Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Perfume Review: Calvin Klein Secret Obsession

If I didn't happen to actually like Secret Obsession, I would have made myself like it. These days, when the threat of Palin is upon us, any mention of censure or banning or denial of one's choice in anything at all makes me see red. Whereas I want to see blue. Anyhow, elections and much ado about not especially provocative video notwithstanding, I do like Secret Obsession. To those who know my hatred for Obsession, this will come as a shock. But the two are very different animals, so much so that I don't think they share much in common except for the name and the fragrance family.

Secret Obsession, says Klein, inhabits the territory "between love and madness". It is a story about "being taunted with illicit thoughts and compelled with seeking pleasure". I wouldn't know anything about madness and illicit thoughts, and it must be this innocence of mine that makes me see in Secret Obsession a comfort perfume, not a forbiden elixir of passion. It is a fairly robust (but not NEARLY as heavy as Obsession), fluffy woody scent with vaguely fruity (plum) and subtly floral (oramge blossom, tuberose) undertones. The fruits are very abstract, which is the only way I can tolerate them, and pleasantly candied, the flowers creamy, the woods indeed cashmere-like in feel. Overall, the slightly fruity, powdery-velvety woodiness of Secret Obsession reminded me of Evening Edged in Gold by Ineke.

Secret Obsession will not make fragrance history the way Obsession did way back when. Klein, like Lauder and Lancome, should, however, be thanked for abandoning the freshies and the fruities and focusing on woods. Again, like Sensuous and Magnifique, this new release is not staggeringly original, not a masterpiece. Like them, it is very wearable and very pretty. Of the three, it is my favorite...and the first CK perfume I like a lot. I see myself reaching for this comfort scent quite often during cold months.

Secret Obsession is available at Macy's, $72.00 for 3.4oz.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Второй параграф, третье предложение...шедеврально... ))

9:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Попрошу не инсинуировать! :-D

9:15 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Great review! I can't believe I'm actually really looking forward to sniffing a CK scent. Am hoping to get to the mall tomorrow (want to sniff that LE Laura Mercier since someone mentioned on MUA that it smelled like pipe tobacco - clarion call!) and will make a point to track this down.

9:39 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason this one reminded of Black Cashmere. You see red and I immediately have expletives popping up in my head at the mention of Palin.

9:47 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Quite frankly , the very mention Sarah Palin makes me want to vomit, as does the thought of ever wearing Obsession again. However, that said, I am salivating. If you, a confirmed Obsession hater can turn to the dark side, perhaps I should take a look. I will be off to Macy's in the morning:)

10:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"threat of palin"- lol...I've been feeling alternately depressed and angry so your review made me smile because I could completely relate to its tone..:)

Will have to check out this scent!

2:18 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
A new pipe tobacco smell? I must sniff it too.

6:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenavira,
Suddenly, I am craving Black Cashmere

6:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
Let us know what you thought of it!

6:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lavanya,
I am glad if it made you smile!

6:42 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Okay....it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't for me! I tried it though and at first I really liked it but then it became too woody. i can see where many will really enjoy it though, it has a nice bite to it:)

11:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Hmm, based on your review I WILL try it, though I never liked the original Obession. If it can make me forget about Sarah Palin for even a few minutes it will be worth it! :-)

1:57 AM EDT  
Blogger multitasker said...

Great review! I didn't like Magnifique, enjoyed Sensuous a lot, loved this one. I'm not yet sure I agree that this one isn't brilliant.

What do you think Ms. Palin wears? Poison? Nah--probably sees herself as Joy.

Great blog!

7:02 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth
Oh well. Plenty others to love, right? :-)

7:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna
I don't know if it can do such magical things :-)

7:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Multitasker
I hope it's not Poison, as I love it :-) She is probably anti-perfume anyway.

7:26 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I must be opposites, Marina, as I’m not the least bit innocent! If Secret Obession truly inhabits the territory between “love and madness” that would be right up my alley. I think I shall have to do a little exploring to see weather it is worthy of an obsession- secret or otherwise!

6:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M
We must be...thus we complete each other :-)

6:23 PM EDT  
Blogger danush said...

I smelled this the other day (mostly because of your review)and I actually liked it,too. I get less woods and more tuberose, a lot of creamy tuberose and some hints of orange blossom.I really find it interesting enough among the others launched lately.

5:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home