Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, September 29, 2008

Perfume Review: Puredistance I

Before we start, a short list of things to know about Puredistance: it is "one of the world's most exclusive perfumes", created by Annie Buzantian for a Viennese company that sells nothing but this one perfume, in a Lounge especially dedicated to it...and most important of all, the collection includes a Crystal Column, into which the bottle of Puredistance I can be embedded ("a mysterious and complicated perfume set in a clear crystal flacon...") and about which you will read over and over again, if you download Puredistance 2008 book. Out of 107 pages, 2,5 is dedicated to perfume, 1 to the perfumer, and the rest is an ode to the bottle design, pictures of the "Column" and the Lounge. I find it to be unfair to the perfume, which happens to be exquisite.

Allegedly first created by Buzantian for herself, Puredistance I is a fresh, green floral scent with subtle fruity overtones and a dry, musky base. A touch of black currant and citrus blossoms in the top notes lends rich juiciness to the cold, breezy aroma of jasmine and mimosa, adding softness but not sweetness to the crisp composition. The subtly fruity leitmotif is carried on in the heart of the scent by magnolia, which puts the palest blush of pink on the otherwise snow-white face of Puredistance. The cool, earthy base of vetiver and musk hides a hint of ambery warmth, which is like a flame embedded (there you go!) deep within a cube of ice...The overall impression is that of an impeccable, classical structure, of elegant coldness and dazzling whiteness...There has never been a perfume more bridal. I see it worn with a pure white gown with long train and cathedral-length veil...and then perhaps never again, like a wedding dress...a perfume purchased for one special occasion, a concept the creators of an exclusive fragrance should heartily approve.


Puredistance is available in a Crystal & Gold limited edition Column, 17,5ml for 2750 euro, in a Crystal & Steel limited edition Column, 17,5ml for 1750 euro and in a perfume spray with gold or silver cap, 17.5ml for 165 euro. Of the three, the latter is my favorite, and not because of its bargain price. I find the phial-like simplicity of the bottle much more attractive than the complicated minimalism of the Column.

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

А жених в чём будет? )

9:47 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

В ГуччиПурОммe :-)

9:50 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Beautiful review! *Must* retry this scent. And I really do adore the look of the 17.5 ml bottle - such great attention to simple, elegant detail w/ that contrasting band at the base of the cap. I can't really explain why I find that bottle so soul satisfying, but I do.

10:30 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I am kind of over the wacky presentation thing. Just give me a bottle...

10:35 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

This sounds wonderful, though I doubt I shall ever get to try it at that price point. I love my chilly white florals, I do. The picture is just perfect too.

12:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PD is based in a rather nice courtyard in downtown Vienna, in one of those nice old houses with a misterious patio. I often walked by without even noticing it, I guess for months - in spite of the fact that they share the courtyard with a boutique for furniture and accessories, where I quite often go. After few busy weeks I made myself a present with one day off and went to check out PD. A young lady from their office on the opposite opened the misterious "cave" for me : yes, the "bottles" are presented in few dark rooms (that I had problems to read their brochure...), like a well kept secret. The cristal bottle looks sparkling in the pointed light. I got a sample and a brochure and a book, and this is just all too fussy and marketing delux for me (although I work in marketing myself...). I'm not a white floral type and therefore I liked the strong "greenness" & freshness of the scent on the beginning. But both disappear and in the drydown there is something slightly disturbing for me (I thought it's patchouli).
I just can't imagine the company can earn enough money with that one product.

5:02 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I agree, the simple bottle is very elegant

6:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Yeah, any bottle will do

6:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
TPC probably has or will have samples.

6:39 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Thank you so much for telling us about the Lounge! I do wonder too if they can make money with this one scent (do they care to make money..?), although they do sell it in some other places as well

6:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, I'm the only one who gets shivers down her spine at the mention of purity and dazzling whiteness? Generally, its the sort of thing that makes me want to commit vandalism, though you do make it sound very beautiful, M. :-)

8:06 AM EDT  
Blogger waftbyCarol said...

I disagree on wearing a scent
" never again..."
Why implant the olfactory memory there in the first place , never to be retrieved ?
I'd like to smell it once myself...

10:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
You might be the last barbarian left standing :-) We all converted into pure white goody two shoes :-)

8:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

waftbyCarol
you are, of course, right :-)

8:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely review and gorgeous photo! The name of the perfume is intriguing- sad, but radiant. It makes me think of a distant star that is so bright it seems near; of something unobtainable yet blindingly present. Good thing Austria isn't around the corner ;-)

8:35 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
I love the way you put it!

8:37 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd give my eye teeth to sniff it! Annie Buzantian did my beloved Forest Lily -- which was sold by Avon at an ever so much better price! I'd love to see what she does with a bigger budget. I bet it's genius.

1:05 PM EDT  
Anonymous Documentaries said...

the simple bottle is very elegant

7:58 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home