Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

This 'n That...

By Tom

First off, the winner of the drawing for the Roxana Illuminated Perfumes is...

Flora! Please let me know your address and I will send them out..

We had rain here in LA for the first time in about a hundred years. The crazy, histrionic downpours (complete with thunder and lightning, very very frightening indeed..) that we get out here, usually a little later in the year. Since I was in West Hollywood, walking, I ducked into ScentBar.

Chergui has arrived there, so those of you who have been despairing of finding it at Barneys take note.

There were two new Lubins there, L de Lubin, which is a handsome blend of flowers and citrus and could easily become a favorite at $124 for 100ML. Perhaps not for the first "cold" day of the year though..

There was also Nuit de Longchamp, which my friend said smelled like a classic scent from the 30's and apparently it is; it's a gorgeous floral chypre in the Hitchcock Blonde mold. There are hidden depths there and a fair bit of darkness; at $134 for 100ML isn't that the new free? Oh, and I love the voluptuous new bottles with the tortie tops. Gorgeous!

Of course, all of Vero Kern's fragrances were there as well, yummy things that they are... I've decided I was on crack when I said I would leave onda to the ladies. It's waaaay to nice on me not to indulge. I just need to up the ante on the social occasions: this is a Night at the Opera scent. Maybe a Presenting an Oscar scent. My friend liked kiki a lot and thought the packaging uber-cute..

Shiloh was there, which for some reason I've never tried? Why is that? On my skin it's a delicious peppery citrus backed by woods, clean musk and sandalwood that manages to keep the citrus for hours, which in my book is a very good thing indeed. Could be necessary..

I'd like to round this out by writing "I smelled (X) and it stunk" so I seem even-handed but I, and it didn't. This is what I grabbed, and for once it was all good.

On a sad note it seems that All Purpose, the men's clothing store that carried some CB I Hate Perfume scents seems to be defunct. Too bad: the owners were nice people who had come great stuff. I can only hope that they have only abandoned brick-and-mortar and gone cyber.

Le Labo's LA scent will debut at the end of this month, and while I am under no fond notion that I am special enough to get to try it early, I'll be nose to the door upon it's release. I hope that "dark core of sin" lives up to my hopes..

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Nuit de Longchamp sounds nice... but it looks like you can't order a sample and $134 for 100ML might be the new free, but still too much to buy unsniffed.

3:44 AM EST  
Blogger Jarvis said...

haha, Tom (it is Tom's post, right?) --

glad to hear you have embraced the Onda. It truly is much too nice for you to deny it to yourself.

9:17 AM EST  
Blogger Billy D said...

I have the same question as Jarvis...this is Tom right? Do we know on what the LeLabo LA scent will be based? Sin...hmm...incense? Lily? I want to say tuberose or maybe gardenia, but we already have the NY scent (although that's more of a citrus anyway).

PS: I'd love to hear about Reve en Cuir and Jus D'amour from Scent Bar...two scents I havent' seen reviewed on the boards yet.

10:03 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Need to resample the Nuit de Longchamps w/ the Hitchcock blonde image in mind. I've been somewhat prejudiced against it since I prefer the vintage parfum version, but that really isn't fair. Glad to see you can wear the Onda now! :-)

11:20 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

hannah-

you can't order a sample? Lame!

12:56 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

jarvis-

Yep, it's Tom. Onda is way too nice to deny myself..

12:56 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

billy d-

I am under the impression that it will be a musk, but that might just be wishful thinking.

1:07 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I would love to try the vintage, I am sure that it's far better. But we take what we can get in this world..

1:17 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Oh, Tom I am so excited, thank you,I can hardly wait! :-D

Some one else wrote about Nuit de Longchamp recently, I think it's moving ever steadily up my list of must-try scents. (My list of musts from Luckyscent alone is pretty stupefying...)

4:31 PM EST  
Blogger March said...

Tom, thanks for reviewing those. What I rillyrillywant is a bottle of Lubin Vetiver (remember that?) Is the bottle as cool in person? Heck, they probably don't even carry it any more, had to shove it off the shelf for something else.

9:08 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D0 do I have your email address?

9:27 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

march-

did they ever carry that one? I don't remember seeing it there

9:28 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiloh is wonderful. A little goes a long way and it lasts forever. Perfect fall a scent but I wear it al year.

9:43 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I can't find an email link on your blog to send you my mailing address! You can get it from Marina if she is checking her email while this blog is on the break, I will remind her what it is.

12:11 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Janet-

Shiloh is lovely!

11:06 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I got it and you package will be mailed Saturday!

11:06 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that bottle design. It's so 30s Hollywood. And you found it in Hollywood! Wonderful!

11:42 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vero Onda for the ladies? I think it's kinda daring, bold.

12:17 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home