Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Michael Kors Bermuda: Perfume Review

“The most exciting thing to say now is, 'Oh, she really looks pretty ,' ... That's not such a dirty word anymore.” Michael Kors
I think that at some point in time, unnoticed by me, my jadedness transformed into a zen-like state of hating nothing, being head-over-heels in love with nothing and accepting all. Which is a round-about way of preparing you for my shocking admission that I like Bermuda, Kors's latest offering in his Island collection. That's right, I like the watery floral-fruity liquid that comes in a pink bottle. When I say, "like", I mean that I find it agreeable, easy-to-wear and pretty in a conventional and cheerful manner, and that if a bottle was to materialize in my cabinet, I would probably pick it up absentmindedly and spray once a year, in summer, and not regret it during the course of the day.

I am starting to realize that I must be a fan of freesia in perfume, something I never knew about myself before. I love Beige, I adore Kors's nouveau riche monster of a scent, Michael Kors, with its overdose of freesia and tuberose...There is quite a lot of freesia in Bermuda, rendered in a much more transparent way, despite the presence of other heavy-hitters like peonies, jasmine and tiare. The watery green accord, declared in the list of notes, must be responsible for this fresh translucency. I wouldn't call the scent fresh per se, but it does possess a certain breeziness. The contrast of floral and fresh/green is nothing new, but I did warn you right from the start that there was nothing groundbreaking about Bermuda....there is certainly nothing groundbreaking about its generic pale drydown of cedar and musk. But the overall effect is pretty, and that's what I'm in a mood for, I guess. Paraphrasing Kors's quote above, smelling pretty is not such a dirty word for me anymore.

Available at Sephora, $62.00 for 50ml.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

I really liked this too, and I was also surprised that I did. I love freesia anyway, in perfume or fresh, so that must be it.

12:12 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

$62 for 50ML helps a lot.

Sometimes easy is just easier. A nice little sundress of a scent can be a good thing.

12:17 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I am definitely into keeping an open mind and trying everything. Easy and pretty definitely can appeal to me - especially in spring. But...I'm freesia phobic. At least I always have been, but who knows? I ceased to be geranium phobic last spring - a time for change - so maybe I will discover a miraculous freesia conversion this year.

7:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Oh you too! I feel better :-)

7:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
A nice little sundress! You know, I write a long review, you come and sum up the scent perfectly in one word. Unfair! :-)

7:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Did you like Beige?

7:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous mals86 said...

You mean it's safe for me to come out and say that I like Michael Kors? And that I adore fresh florals containing freesia and peony?

Whew. And thanks! Just because I'm learning to appreciate floral chypres and incense doesn't mean I have to give up my bent towards the girly ditzy stuff, does it?

8:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love freesias! I think we just discussed them a few weeks ago in your review of the new Ralph Lauren?

Anyhow, must check this one out. Only know MK's Hawaii which is a light gardenia.

lovethescents

11:28 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Mals86,
Exactly. You can come out and say it :-)

11:30 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
Oh yeah, I like the new RL too. I am so mainstream! :-)

11:30 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if we're admitting to possibly cheesy frags, I am in love with the new Halle...from Halle Berry. It is so warm and actually sexy smelling. I about fell over when I sprayed some on. I will hesitate to tell anyone what it is, celebrity scents are usually so cheesy, but this one is actually good!! And it's got freesia M!!

Kayliana

11:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

C,
I am not sure I ready to start liking celebrity scents just yet! I mean, one step at a time :-))) Seriously though, if you say it is good, I will try it.

11:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

My coworker has been bringing in fresh freesias from her garden, and the transparent delicacy and ... well, the sillage of their scent is just entrancing. I can relate to that particular craving.

Good tip, Kayliana. I was just pondering Halle and thinking it sounded nice.

11:52 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Exactly, the scent is transparent yet intense.

11:53 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

I'm whistling a little happy tune at somebody else enjoying the Michael Kors...I had tried to score some from an online auction, figuring, hey, if it was uber cheap, then I have a reason to justify it...

Haven't tried it in a while, though. Back to a tester...and will look for Bermuda while I'm at it. If necessary, I believe I can justify more than one sundress in my closet...

5:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
How can one not enjoy Michael Kors. It is tacky chic at its best :-) I am so over-spraying it again this summer. :-)

5:38 PM EDT  
Anonymous Persimmon said...

Bermuda sounds delightful, though I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never been to a more exotic seaside resort than my beloved Atlantic City ;-)

7:03 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Persimmon,
There is a lot of exotic stuff you can find and do in AC, I am sure. :-)

7:05 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

I loved this fun review and I have to admit a love of MK Bermuda, not on me but on almost anyone else. I think that its wonderful and I'm always surprised by that. So, I totally get it M. Bermuda seems easy to wear , in sort of a capri and sailor shirt sort of way:)

11:57 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
Yep, that's exactly the sort of way. :-)

7:11 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home