Ralph Lauren Romance and Glamour Magazine ("two authorities among today’s women", as per press release) "teamed up to provide an inside look at modern day romance. A survey held in conjunction with GfK Roper discovered that although technology has a role in the way men and women communicate, tradition remains an important facet in relationships. Comprised of 17 questions, the survey polled 1,000 male and female adults, age 18+, nationwide."
Top Key Findings:
TRUE LOVE: 9 in 10 American adults believe in true love; this is equally believed among men and women, regardless of age and marital status.
COMPLIMENTS: 88% of men said the #1 compliment they would most like to receive is “you’re so funny,” however the compliment most desired by women is “you have a great smile. (93%)”
EXPRESSION: Men say “I love you” sooner than women, and are twice as likely as women to say “I love you” in the first week (19% vs. 10%). The number one thing men want to receive for Valentine’s Day is to hear “I love you.”
More from survey results:
FRAGRANCE IS AN INDELIBLE PART OF ROMANCE:
• Fragrance leaves a lasting impression—1 in 3 adults remember what fragrance
their significant other was wearing on their first date (34%)
• 1 in every 4 single adults say someone has asked them out because
they liked their fragrance or cologne (28%)
• Fragrance is the #1 lucky date item single adults say they wear on every date (28%)
• Among single adults with a lucky date item, 73% say that item is a fragrance
• 1 in 10 American adults consider fragrances to be among
their top three favorite Valentine’s Day gifts
• Fragrance was the among the top three preferred gifts of 1 in every 8 women (12%)
Having said that...
• Among women’s top three most preferred gifts, home-cooked meals was a top selection (51%)