Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, September 09, 2011

Cherche l'homme: Azzaro Decibel and Jean-Paul Gaultier Kokorico

By Marina

Interestingly, among the recently smelled new releases, the standouts for me turned out to be two masculine scents.

The most thrilling fragrance came from an unlikely source, Azzaro. Their incensey Decibel with its "burning prunes" quality took me off guard. There is something simultaneously severe and sensual in the main, incense, accord, with licorice adding a slight fruity effect and vanilla softening the jagged angles of the central accord. Rather then darkening and intesifying, it thins and freshenes as it dries down, and at no point during the development would I call it uber masculine. Definitely unisex. Gorgeous on a woman who likes this kind of smoldering, husky sweetness.

Jean-Paul Gaultier put his new scent into a bottle that is both his profile and the outline of his back and butt. It's a nice butt, and the composition of Kokorico is unexpectedly good too. The patchouli is chocolatty, a transparent mimosa note in the top lifts the blend, iris in the middle fluffies it up, licorice enhances the edible aspect...It's all quite intricate and fun. By the end, patchouly shakes off the gourmandness and becomes green and earthy, and it's not a bad turn, in my book. 

Licorice-lovers, also look for Diesel's Loverdose, which I found myself enjoying a whole surprising lot. 

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ines said...

And just the other day I said how disappointed I was with my foray into mainstream, although I did completely skip the "masculine" deparment.
These both sound very good, especially since I lean toward the masculines anyway.

Hmmm, why then don't I ever wonder through that side of the store...?

3:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Licorice, one of my favorite notes, and now a licorice bonanza! Thanks for bringing these to my attention, Marina!
-Marla

6:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Elisa said...

What's this, three promising mainstream scents?! Like!

4:51 PM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Azzaro and Loverdose, huh? Well, this kind of news is right in line with all the other endtimes news abroad lately. ;-) I love reading your posts, M.

6:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

Frangipane by The Garden Party smells like licorice to me (though it isn't in the notes) and it has made me take more of an interest in all these new licorice releases than I would have before.

I'm looking forward to sampling Loverdose and Kokorico and I'm way overdue trying the Caron.

10:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

100 Flowers in Canada has Reglisse Noir, a nice masculine...AnnieA

3:52 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home