Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Perfume Review: L'Inspiratrice by Divine

L’Inspiratrice is the new fragrance to join Yvon Mouchel's collection of Divine perfumes. If I were to describe the Divine line in general and L’Inspiratrice in particular in one word, the word would have been Elegant. The smooth, graceful blends produced by Divine are incredibly refined. L’Inspiratrice is described as “a lofty meeting between patchouli and the rose” and is said to also contain the notes of ylang-ylang, bergamot, peony, white musk, vetiver, vanilla and tonka bean. “Beware!’ warn us the creators of the scent. “Sensuality is in the air.”

The blend of rose and patchouli seemed to have been destined to go in either of the two directions: it could have veered towards the gothic, brooding and earthy a la L’Artisan’s Voleur de Rose or could have turned out to be sultry, come-hither-erotic and luscious, something along the lines of L’Arte di Gucci. In reality, L’Inspiratrice effortlessly and elegantly walks the line between the two extremes and offers a wearer the best of the two worlds. The dark-red, honeyed warmth of the roses, enhanced by the sweet creaminess of ylang-ylang, vanilla and tonka bean, is paired with the dry and at the same time vaguely edible, almost chocolate-like earthiness of patchouli and the arid greenness of vetiver. A delicate sparkle, added to the composition by the mix of bergamot and peony, is incredibly charming. L’Inspiratrice is indeed sensual, but its sensuality is sophisticatedly understated. This is the scent for a refined, well-mannered, ladylike seductress.

L’Inspiratrice is available at divine.fr, €45.00-€138.00 depending on the size.

The photo of the bottle is from divine.fr. The image is Tendresse by Rene Gruau.

19 Comments:

Blogger lilybp said...

Beware, indeed! I was afraid of this one from the moment I read about it on NST--and now you have confirmed my fear! One more lemming, growing larger by the minute. . .

6:46 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this one sounds so good! I am learning to really like patchouli, and this pairing with rose sounds lovely! You are so bad, M, you are my lemming grower! To quote a cowboy, "I wish I knew how to quit you." :) Bois de Copaiba from yesterday has already been purchased as a Christmas gift from DH, unsniffed!

7:33 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

This sounds absolutely custom made for me - except for the bergamot and peony. And you used the word "sparkle". Deep sigh. That's a word that can deep six a lemming for me in .2 seconds flat. But..."honeyed warmth of the roses" and "earthiness of patchouli". Irresistible. I'm hoping that my skin chemistry will for once work in my favor and seriously minimize the peony and bergamot.

7:58 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Well, as far as lemmings go, this one is not especially, insanely expansive and it will most probably be available here in the US, at Luckyscent I'd guess. :-)

8:18 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Aw, you say the sweetest thigns :-) And - Congratulations!!!

8:19 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I don't think you should worry. The sparkle is subtle, peony and bergamot minimal. This is all about rose and patchouli.

8:20 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

So, um, how rose-y is that rose? A Rosine rose? A pretty rose (eep!) I'm thinking this isn't bent enough for me, I need my roses throttled by something else (Rose Ecume, Rosine Homme, TDC Rose Poivree, SL Rose de Nuit... you get the picture.) On the other hand, it is a Divine.

8:54 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Not rosy at all. It is throttled by patchouli big time. It's not a pretty-pretty scent at all. I think you'll like it.

9:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have to try this one, I love rose scents.

11:37 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful monster of a scent - the smelly paper Divine scent me took over the ground floor of my house. Very patchouli, but without any headshoppiness. Lady patchouli indeed.

11:52 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
It is beautiful. You might love it.

11:59 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Leopoldo,
It ain't easy to make patchouli ladylike...:-) but the Divine people managed somehow.

12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
So good to have you back!
If you love Divine scents already, then you'd love this one too. It is very much in spirit of the line. Exquisite, in other words.

12:01 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Lovely review, and all I could tell from the fragranced card was "ladylike" so glad to hear more!

1:28 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Well, "ladylike" was my main impresion too. Lovely stuff.

1:31 PM EST  
Blogger priscilla said...

Oh, another one for the list...

1:45 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

P,
It's on my To Buy A Bottle list now *sigh*

1:47 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds divine! ;D I find all of their fragrances for women very French classic in style.

7:17 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
Oh, definitely! What a great way to describe them. They could not be any French-er :-)

7:18 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home