Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, March 05, 2007

Perfume Review: Parfumerie Generale Limited Edition - Bois Blond, L’Ombre Fauve, and Ether de Lilas Blanc sur Feuillage Tendre

The tireless Parfumerie Generale have introduced three limited edition scents, Bois Blond, L’Ombre Fauve, and Ether de Lilas Blanc sur Feuillage Tendre.

Bois Blond, inspired by an August evening, at the time of the harvest, has notes of cereals, grass, galbanum, cedar, hay, blond tabac, amber and musk. Those who could not wear Aomassai, because of the very sweet, caramel-like note that ran as a leitmotif through the woody-balsamic composition, should be delighted. Apart from not having even a hint of edible sweetness of Aomassai, Bois Blond is also much less balsamic, much less brooding, more light-hearted in feel…but it has the same sumptuous woodiness, which makes me think of a newly built wooden house in the country…The greenness of grasses and galbanum give Bois Blond a drier, brighter feel; the hay smells a little damp and strangely comforting (I love this note!)…All in all, Bois Blond seems to me to be more urbane than Aomassai. She is a city-girl, dressed in fashionable “country” clothes, she is visiting her parents at their big chateau…at night she sneaks around with an old beau (the groundskeeper, rugged but handsome) and spends many pleasant hours with him in a hay shed.

L’Ombre Fauve, described as “imperceptibly cat-like” and “bestial”, is the most sumptuous of the three limited edition scents. It smells “thick” and luscious; patchouli, which is strangely absent from the laconic official list of notes (amber, musk, wood) and which is the most prominent note on my skin, brings to mind sweet, soft, pitch-black soil…Yes, we are still in a country, these clearly are Parfumerie Generale’s “bucolic” series, but it isn’t a European countryside anymore, we are transferred to an exotic land, to a nocturnal garden, with the moon shining its ghostly light on two beings in a passionate embrace…Coming back to the scent…the second most prominent note on my skin here is amber, it is a lush, sweet-smelling note with a slight incensey undertone. And really, the two notes, patchouli and amber are all that I smell in L’Ombre Fauve. This is one of those scents that is attractive not because of its complexity but because of the opulent feel and quality of the ingredients. By the way, according to Parfumerie Generale, L'Ombre Fauve contains a high level of natural products, and it is advised, upon receiving it in the post, to let it sit for a while at room temperature and shake lightly before testing.

Ether de Lilas Blanc sur Feuillage Tendre, built around a note of white lilac (syringa vulgaris alba), and also featuring the notes of passion-flower, orange blossom, bark, mandarin, lilac, leaves, iris and musk, is perhaps my favorite of the three. To me this is the smell of an early morning in spring…so early, the sky is still dark-grey, the landscape is wrapped in shimmering mist and the dew is glistening on the leaves and the intoxicatingly fragrant white flowers…The scent is gentle and quiet and not overly complicated. I smell mostly lilac, a certain greenness and just a little bit of musk. Ether de Lilas has an uncluttered, elegant feel; it is ethereal, translucent, melancholy and very charming.

The three limited edition scents are available at boutique-parfumerie-generale.com. Bois Blond and L’Ombre Fauve cost €75.00-€120.00. Ether de Lilas Blanc sur Feuillage Tendre costs €58.00-€78.00.

The third image is The Last Peony by Micheal Parkes, from Piersidegallery.com.

Labels:

40 Comments:

Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Happy Monday!

You have such an amazing way with words, dear M. The third one sounds most like my cup of tea, although I'd be happy to try the other two. I've been looking for a high quality lilac scent. This one sounds like a good start?

10:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
I do think that Ether should be your cup of tea. As for another lovely lilac scent, have you tried Patou Vacances? Beautiful stuff.

11:11 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

The hay shed comment cracked me up. ;D
The scents sound potentially good! Can't wait to try.

1:39 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'vew bought myself a bottle of Bois Blond because I need a roll around in the hay. from your description, I know I've done the right thing.

3:51 AM EST  
Blogger Solander said...

Ooh, they sound lovely! I hope I'll get my hands on some samples...

6:01 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sound of all of these, but especially the Bois Blond. Oooh, the torture! M, I forbid you to write lovely, interesting reviews until my no buy is over! ;-)

7:18 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Brilliant reviews! All three sound truly gorgeous. And, although I only wear lilac scents for a couple of days each spring, you've got me convinced that this one is essential for living throughout the entire year.

7:50 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
The hay note always makes me think of naughty bucolic stuff. Unfortunately I have already used up the comparison with Lady Chatterley for Fleur de Narcisse...so now I don't know what to write about my beloved Vie de Chateau, which is hay, leather and tobacco, very naughty indeed. :-)

7:59 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Leopoldo,
Let me get this straight, you bought a bottle *before* you read the review, right? Just want to make sure I am not to blame should you not happen to like BB. But you most probably will love it, I am just being overly cautious.

8:00 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
They are lovely, I hope you do get to test them. What I didn't say in my review is that they will be only available- as far as I know- till March 30.

8:04 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Fine, I'll write dull reviews about boring scents...*cries*

8:05 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
This one is not that lilacy. I read that different varieties of lilac has different smells. Well, judging by Ether, white lilac certainly smells different from the regular lilac. It is less heady, MUCH more wearable for the lilac hater, me. (Although I do like Vacances very much)

8:06 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ow -- those sound great! Particularly the Bois Blond (Aomassai's caramel opening was *not* good on me). Actually, they all sound wonderful ... do you think we could layer fauve and lilas, or would that be All Wrong?

8:16 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I definitely think you'll like Bois Blond. Definitely.
That's an interesting idea, layering Ombre with Ether. Ombre would be the spring soil and Ether would represent the sky...Nice!

8:20 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Hmmmmm. . .l'ombre fauve sounds like a possibility. . .

8:22 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I do think that it would be the one you'd like the most...

8:23 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

These sound so lovely! I can't wait until my bottles get here, dangit! I'm ready for the lilas for spring, it sounds just perfect.

9:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
I hope they arrive soon!

9:12 AM EST  
Blogger Kelley said...

Yes, great reviews. PG will soon be even more rich, thanks to you. My no buy, which was then changed to only on bottle per season (four bottles a year) still stands, and because the seasons here in Mexico are different than in the United States because Winter was over February 1st, I legally can buy Bois Blond! Sweet!!!

I would be interested to know how much blogs influence buying habbits.

10:49 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley,
I'd love to know that too :-)

So Bois Blond would be your one spring bottle? Good choice! :-)

10:52 AM EST  
Blogger Kelley said...

Yes, it would be my one purchase of the season. By the way, since this would be unsniffed, how similar is it to Chergui? You know with the hay notes?

10:58 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Kelley,
As far as my nose is concerned, Bois Blond bears no resemblance to Chergui at all. I mean they don't even belong to the same species, to me :-) Bois Blond is not smoky, sweet or brooding, the way Chergui is on my skin. The two scents that come closest to BB are Aomassai and Cedre Sandaraque by Parfumerie Generale. But BB is much less sweet than both of them. I think Guillaume is pushing away from his gourmand tendency, and I think it's a good thing.

11:03 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darn you Colombina for making these sound so lovely!

11:04 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Jennifer,
I can't make something sound lovely if it really isn't lovely at all:-) So, don't blame me, blame Parfumerie Generale :-)

11:06 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm positively salivating over the Lilas. I know exactly the effect you are describing and it's a time and place and experience I love.

1:26 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Teri,
Weeell...it is "only" EUR58...of course there is shipping...:-) Perhaps Luckyscent will get these scents soon, let's hope so.

1:28 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do miss lilacs since I left the Northeast. We had a beautiful white lilac tree in our last place. Its smell was more "pure" and lyrical than that of a lot of purple lilacs. But I take all color descriptions by perfumers as mere mood allusions, not actual horticultural fact. :-)

2:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
Pure and lyrical are exactly the words I'd use to describe Ether. I don't mean "pure" as clean or fresh, it's just...I don't know, pure as transparent, perhaps.

2:04 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I will have to try these, as always you make them sound so dreamy is the only word I can think of. Like maria b., I am also from the northeast originally and I well remember the smell of the white lilacs we had in the garden. Most lilac scents I've run across had about as much to do with the scent of the actual flower as a Mountain Dew does to the taste of Moet..

2:30 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Haha!
Can you tell me, does white lilac smell differently from lilac lilac? :-) If so how? Thank you!

2:35 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I always thought that while lilac had a more ethereal smell to it, lighter and dustier than the purple kind, which I find to be a little overwhelming. It's sort of like the difference between the heavy indolent jasmine you get in the south and the whispery ghostly night-blooming jasmine we have here (which I am told is not really jasmine at all)

6:15 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Thank you! This does sound like the lilac I get form Ether. The regular lilac overwhelms me too, quite often.

6:20 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Hey, these sound great! Except, of course, #2 which sounds not quite my sort of thing, right?

8:20 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
No, I also don't think L'Ombre is your thing, but the other two might well be.

8:22 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring me some Ether de Lilas Blanc sur Feuillage Tendre! I wonder if PG's shipping to Taiwan is similar to the US... =)

11:46 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any idea whether these are
EDT or EDP?

3:42 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Monica,
I shouldn't think it would be much different. Both are "outise of EU" for them.

8:25 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Charles,
Sorry, I don't know and as far as I can see their online store gives no info on that either.

8:26 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fauve perfume interests me, does anyone know if it is the sme Fauve perfule that was closed out in the late 80's? It was sold by Neiman Marcus before they discontinued and the only information they would give me was that it was Neiman's own perfume. The bottles were three sided and had a triangle shaped lid.

11:30 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear Anonymous,
I am very sorry, I have never heard of it. Hopefully someone else would know.

11:36 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home