Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Sometimes they come back...

By Tom

Sometimes I think about reviews I had written and wonder whether if I would feel the same way if I tried the scent again. I have previously made a public mea culpa about Rousse when it went from "Meh" to "gimme". So I decided to revisit some earlier scents to see what I thought.

Secretions Magnifique was one that I didn't like. Actually I loathed it. It was bilge water with the added essence of bullet riddled and defiled corpse. Upon reflection it was even worse, and even harder to scrub off. The producers of the various CSI series could use this to scent the fake bodies to get the actors to gag convincingly...

Le Labo is still bugging me by having those exclusives, but the regular scents are growing on me. I might need the Iris one and the Labdanum seems to be leaning towards being not-so-powdery. I am also told that the LA one will be musk. Picture your Pansy going "Squeeeee!"

On the other hand, Sky by Gendarme was one that I initially liked, but which sort of wore out it's welcome. Not that it is bad or anything, it became the perfume equivalent of "He's just not that into you"

Somewhat the same can be written about Serge Noire. I still like it a lot, but not enough to make me buy a bottle, especially since I popped for the last few Serges and think there must be some magic combo of those last ones (maybe with a spritz of Grey Flannel?) that will magically save me the $140 for this one. I blame the economy.

At the risk of reinflaming Franco-American relations, there's is one house is still not doing it for me...

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serge Noire never tweaked my nipples, and I'm yet to smell a Gendarme (though I do have a story about that... (-;)

12:23 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Did a gendarme tweak your nipples? do tell!

12:50 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

SM is one of the few scents that I feel secure in saying I won't change my mind about. I don't often go off of a scent, but, God knows, I often come to love scents I initially disliked. If a scent seems like it has potential or is interesting, I will continue to sample it for years and years on the off chance I will discover the magic.
Hmmm...which French house?

1:25 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

SM is godawful.

Not telling...

1:45 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

A diplomat to the core. :-)

3:22 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Oh, I want to hear the story about the gendarme and the nipples!

I love "he's just not that into you." Joining you and Elle in your certainty that I will never be blogging on the hotness that is Secretions.

French house ... Malle? But wait, I think you like Musc Rav...

9:35 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

march- think nose

2:22 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Well, I think it is now safe to say, after reading a number of reviews, that I never need to smell Secretions Magnifique! Your ah, picturesque and vivid description is more than enough to convince me!

I still want to try Serge Noire, because I just have to believe that a Serge scent will at least be interesting if not ground-breaking. And darn those Le Labo people and their exclusives! I am very cross with them.

12:03 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home