Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Perfume Review: Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude


The description of Youth Dew Amber Nude (“warm, sensual, intimate”) sounded like music to my ears. The notes (magnolia, ginger, tea, grapefruit, bare skin accord, black rose, red carnations, jasmine, ylang ylang, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, dark chocolate and amber) whispered in my ear promises of a beautiful friendship. Imagine my disappointment when, instead of being enveloped by a balmy, sweet, rich fragrance, comforting like the softest cashmere wrap, I was coldly greeted by a rather dry, harsh scent with an unpleasant, rubbery note in the drydown. However, so high were my expectations that I refused to believe that Youth Dew Amber Nude and I were not to be. I decided it was only a skin chemistry mishap and tried again. And I was right, it must have been a skin chemistry mishap. From then on, Youth Dew Amber Nude worked like a charm and is now a proud member on the list of my comfort scents.

It starts on my skin with the scent of amber and apples (perhaps this is the combination of magnolia and ginger, who knows…), not unlike a lighter, less sweet version of Ambre Narguile. Youth Dew Amber Nude has the same, albeit much drier, honeyed and smoky feel that I adore in my favorite Hermessence. Although leather is not among the list of notes, I definitely smell a leathery accord, it adds elegance and, when joined by carnation, exquisite spiciness. Amber, leather and carnation are the three notes most prominent to my nose; rose, patchouli and chocolate are a no-show. When sandalwood comes into play in the drydown, Youth Dew Amber Nude becomes that cashmere-wrap scent I wanted it to be. It manages to be warm and dry at the same time, it stays rather close to the skin, but is nevertheless sensual and comforting.

As far as I am concerned, Youth Dew Amber Nude is a great success on Tom Ford’s part and I am very curious to see what else he will come up with fragrance-wise for the good old Estee Lauder.

Youth Dew Amber Nude is available at Nordsrom, $65.00 for 2.5oz.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina, I know what you mean about the list...so many lemmings so little time :-)

Do you like Ambre Narguile? I am not saying the two are identical or even too similar, but I think if you do like AN there is a chance you will like YDAN.

11:22 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Yes, Patty, thanks to you I foudn a new favorite...it took me a while to get to like it, but I do now.

Poor Angel...I don't exactly hate it, but I am quite tired of smelling it everywhere. And because there are so many Angel-smell-alikes, the scent really is everywhere.

8:15 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Yeah...I love it so much myself that I wasn't even been able to review it...I am afraid the post would consist of oohs aahs and !!!!s. :-)

I must put another disclaimer about YDAN- it is not exactly LIKE AN...just the beginning smelled sort of reminiscent of it...but it is less sweet and drier.

8:50 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Now THAT is true! :-)

9:07 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

T., you know I also love White Linen Breeze. I've got to get myself a new bottle. It is lovely!

1:48 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Dear N, I disliked YDAN at first try too. It was nothing like Ambre Narguile or anything pleasant at all on me then. But somehow something changed :-)
Though the slight similarity to AN maybe just my a)skin chemistry and/or b)wishful thinking :-)

1:50 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Fine! I will be the only (freaky) one who gets similarity to Ambre Narguile. :-) But I can't complain, can I? I love Narguile.

PS, oh Caroline M. is gorgeous!

2:17 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, YDAN didn't work for me, but like you I can't wait to see what Tom Ford does next!

4:44 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R, yes, I am very curious what is going to be his next step perfume-wise.

5:04 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home