Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Perfume Review: Robert Piguet Baghari

Getting to know Baghari was like falling in love with someone who looked a little like a person you adored years ago, like recognizing familiar, beloved features on an entirely new face. The moment I smelled the sparkly powder of Baghari's aldehydes, I felt at ease and at home. I knew this scent even if I have never encountered it before. It wasn't the familiarity of a derivative fragrance, no, the scent had the recognizable feel of a classic. Baghari, with its sugared violets and roses, adds a touch of gourmand-craving modernity to the elegant lines of a time-honored floral-aldehydic, but does so judiciously and tastefully, adopting the new scent for the slightly sweeter tastes of a great-granddaughter of the woman who used to wear Chanel No 22 (which was the beloved I recognized in Baghari), Liu and the original Baghari.

Concerning the latter, I own and treasure a sample, which is quite old. Time practically erased the supposedly bright top notes of aldehydes and citruses, and started its inexorable process on the creamy heart, so what I am left with is the dark, dirty base. But it seems to me that to know that base alone is to know one of the main differences between the old and the new Baghari. The reissued composition lacks the earthiness and the animalic muskiness of its more sensual predecessor. Still, unlike some of the recent re-releases, the new Baghari is recognizable if not as an exact replica (let's face it, with different materials and different - or more! - guidelines, that is practically impossible) then at least as a direct descendant of the 1950 creation. With its sumptuous bouquet of sunny neroli, ripe, nectarous rose and jasmine and sweet, powdery violet and iris, and a languid, expansive feel of the composition, Baghari stays true to the grand and insolent spirit of the rest of the Piguet collection. I imagine the glamorous Fracas and the daring, impossibly sophisticated Bandit surprising themselves by feeling unexpectedly fond and strangely protective of this youthful reincarnation of their long-gone sister.

I will review the latest additions to the Piguet line, the newly reissued Visa and Cravache, on Friday.

Baghari is available on Amazon, among other places, $65.00 for 1.7oz, $95.00 for 3.4oz.

Image sources, imgmodels.com (the picture of the beautiful Sasha Pivovarova), amazon.com.

28 Comments:

Blogger priscilla said...

I can't wait to hear your thought on Friday. I remember liking Baghari very much when I tried it last year (in passing at Neiman's). Must try it again! I can see owning all three Piguet fragrances...or perhaps all five? ;-)

10:03 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

P,
All 5! 4 for you, 1, Cravache, for Mr Greeneyes (and for you to borrow) :-)

10:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know what I'm gonna do now, right? I'm gonna go sniff it tomorrow and will report later.

10:46 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
And you know what I think will eventually happen :-P

I hope you do re-sniff it tomorrow and that you do love it too!

10:48 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

You have Visa and Cravache!?! Soooo jealous!!

11:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wish it would zoom straight to the basenotes - as March'll testify, this is one scent that makes my face wrinkle up... Too many aldehydes... It's not a judgement; it's a much more primitive reaction than that.

However, very excited to hear about the re-releases...

2:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Marina, this one sounds so me. Bandit sounded so me too, and it IS.

BTW, I'm wearing MPG Magnolia Pourpre, which I love, and it's all your fault. :-)

3:05 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

I think the new Baghari is lovely, if not quite "me." I have a decant and dab it on periodically. I can imagine the base in the old one -- swoon!

I can't remember which, but one of the new rereleases sounds great.

And yes, Lee made a TERRIBLE face when smelling it in London. Clearly not his cup of tea.

7:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
You will too :-)

7:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
How do you feel about other aldehydes, like Chanel No 5 or 22? Same reaction or is it just Baghari?

7:58 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Maria,
I can't accept the blame for Magnolia Pourpre, I've never reviewed it :-) But I am so glad you like it, it is so gorgeous.

7:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I am trying to think which one of the new ones you might like...hard to tell, Cravache would be a safer bet, I think, but you never know.

8:00 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I never tried the original of this. The reissue was absolutely lovely on a friend of mine (who bought it, as she should have), but didn't quite work on me. It came out too citrusy (as many things do):(. I have tried--and liked--the original Visa and Cravache, so I am eager to read your review. Not as eager, however, as I am to hear what happened to Lancome Cuir. Any news on that?

8:59 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,

I wrote to Lancome, asking when Cuir will come to the States. Here is the response:

"Lancôme does not currently have plans to reintroduce the fragrance "Cuir"."

:-D

I guess OsMoz and others dreamed up the information and the pictures:
http://tinyurl.com/2wcc8k

9:03 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

I struggle with aldehydes though I do like White Linen, Arpege and Caleche which I think I'm right in saying have aldehydes? I don't get along with Chanel No 5 but can see the beauty in No 22. I suspect this might not rock my boat but I am eagerly awaiting both your review and the scent itself - Visa! Has my name on it! Like Bandit does.

9:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know someone who compares the aldehydes of of Baghari being most similar to Caleche. This really is a lovely winner and is on my to buy list. The dry has a strange faint hint of cinnamon on me that I think must come from the combination of amber and something else. On me this takes on on an almost heliotrope quality that I love mixed with the gentle aldehydes. So far the Piguet I can wear.

10:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
If you are fine with the scents you listed, then you don't struggle with aldehydes, I think. :-) Because those 3 are quite aldehyde-y. But because Baghari reminds me a little of No 22 and I suppose of No 5 too, maybe it won't be to your liking.

10:40 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jenavira,
Then (re: likeness to Caleche), maybe Nicola (comment above yours) will like Baghari too.
So far I've liked every Piguet I've smelled, but it might be that I like this one the most, more even than Fracas...

10:42 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, those Osmoz people have a lot of imagination. They showed us in Paris how they have an island on one of those virtual reality sites (I am too old to remember the name:) So maybe this is a virtual perfume!:)

10:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
A virtual perfume...that would an ultimate exclusive :-)

10:49 AM EDT  
Blogger donanicola said...

hahaa! Maybe I am on the verge of another conversion then! (I had one over white flowers). Thanks Marina and Jenavira, very interesting. And btw, I was so looking forward to Lancome's Cuir - now like a lot of folks I guess I'm confused.

11:19 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Nicola,
What Cuir? :-) According to Lancome, there is no reissued Cuir. Tee hee.

11:23 AM EDT  
Blogger poodlegirl said...

I've never smelled the original version of this, but when I tried Baghari last year at NM, I fell for it immediately. Of course, I have a "thing" for floral aldehydes in general, but this one was a real winner for me. It feels quite elegant, but not *too* well-bred - somehow I feel ready to have a good time when I wear it. :-D

1:02 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
"not too well-bred" is Piguet's thing perfume-wise, isn't it? And I mean it as a huge compliment. That's what makes them alluring. I so need a bottle of this too :-)

PS. OK, well Cravache is actually rather well-bred.

1:13 PM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Baghari is so beautifully done, and I feel guilty that it just does absolutely nothing whatsoever for me. The two new ones may turn out the same way, can't decide yet, although so far I do like Visa better than Baghari. But nothing can top Fracas & Bandit in my affections...

1:24 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
I can't believe you like Visa! It might be too sweet and robust even for me, I haven't made up my mind yet. It is certainly very beautiful.

1:36 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Oh...I crave sugared violets,lavender buds and rose petals....My sister brings them home for me from a la Reine Astrid in Paris on occasion, and they are truly intoxicating. A fragrance with those notes is far too tempting for me to ever resist! I love Fracas, and am looking forward to meeting Baghari. Thank you Marina for so generously feeding my perfume addiction with your ever gorgeous prose!

6:45 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Beth,
Thank YOU so much for you kid words!
I hope you love Baghari too. I think you will.

9:30 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home