Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, August 10, 2007

Perfume Stars: Summer Favorites. Part 7

Part 7 of the Perfume Stars series brings us the favorite summer fragrances and ideal holiday destinations of …

René Schifferle, LesNez

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“My favorite summer fragrances are citruses or vetivers. Citrus is fresh and vetivers cooling. My first citrus was Eau Sauvage by Edmond Roudnitska, which goes back to my first trip to the south of France in the early seventies. I had bought it before leaving, just as I was going to do on many holidays and trips in the future. A new fragrance to go with the year and the place. I still do this sometimes today.

I had not known then, that Maitre Roudnitska had composed Eau Sauvage just a few miles up the road from Cannes in his house "Sainte Blanche" in the mountains near Cabris. What a coincidence, I had brought the right fragrance to the right place. It is still able to bring me back there ...”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“Discovering France - whenever I have a few days. There are so many different landscapes, climates, châteaux, museums, people and markets. It never stops.”


Francis Kurkdjian

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“I have three favorite scents: Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès created by Françoise Caron, Eau de Rochas created by Nicolas Mamounas and Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal. I like to use them as a splash. They are light so I can reapply all day long.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“No special places in the world but I like hanging out with friends, taking my time reading, cooking, having fun all together. I have couple of places that I like though, Beyruth (Lebanon), the Family House near Bordeaux, a friend's house in Sevilla (Spain).”


Peter Milsted, Art of Perfumery

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

Favorite Summer fragrances for Women are:

“Cool Water Summer, a beautiful sparkling invigorating yet soft feminine perfume. Another favourite is the Kenzo summer variant which has the pure and sensual note of mimosa leaving a trail of sweet memories. And of course the Art of Perfumery N°3 which is a delicate white floral with a beautiful accord of lily of the valley giving every woman an aura of serenity and peace.”

Favorite summer fragrances for men:

Eau Sauvage from Christian Dior will always be one of Milsted’s favourite classic cologne, full of citrus and wood, perfect for hot summer evenings. “Art of Perfumery N°4 is the other ideal summer fragrance with superb modern ozonic accords combined with aromatic notes giving fresh radiant energy.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

Marrakech/Morocco, Gorges du Verdon/France and his own Provencale garden in the South of France, near Grasse!


Christopher Chong, Amouage

What are your favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

“This is a difficult question for me because I don't like classifying fragrances according to seasons. I prefer to wear what my mood dictates on the day. I know this sounds pretentious...hahaha. It's extremely difficult for me to get into the summer season in the UK at the moment since it has been so wintry lately.

To answer your question, if I am feeling summery my favourite fragrances would be Amouage's Ciel and Reflection. However, I am not entirely biased towards Amouage. One of my favourites is Chanel No 18. It reminds me of a sultry summer in Tuscany with a gin and tonic in my hand.”

What is your favorite holiday destination?

“Again, I am going to be difficult. You have to forgive me. I don't have a favourite holiday destination because it takes me so long to unwind from the intensity of my job that by the time I begin to feel relaxed my holiday is already over.

However, I would feel guilty if I don't answer your question properly. One of my favourite holiday destinations is trekking in Nepal. It was such a magical experience in which body, soul and nature are fused as one unity. I love destinations that offer me the opportunity to explore myself and also to enrich my understanding of their cultures and mysticism.”


Autumn Asbury, La Creme Beauty

What are you favorite summer fragrances? What are the characteristics of your ideal summer scent?

My favorite summer fragrances are always changing, must admit I’m not very faithful when it comes to scent. I’ve been loving the Loree Rodkin Gothic fragrances, there is something very sexy to me about the richness of her fragrances mingling with the heat and humidity. For a different feel I have also been wearing Yosh White Flowers which is so fresh and clean without being soapy and her U4EAHH!! which is very playful. I also love the scent of suntan lotion in the summer especially Hawaiian Tropics & Bain de Soleil…it let’s me know summer is here. I read once that one of Frederic Malle’s favorite smells was Bain de Soleil…I found that I had a little soft spot for him after reading that.

What is your favorite holiday destination?

Unfortunately holidays are far and few between but I love Hawaii for it’s flowers and lush greenness and Greece for being able to pick the most amazing fresh lemons and it’s herbaceous scented mountains…I think most people just think of the water when it comes to Greece. Both places are not only beautiful visually but are full of gorgeous aromatics. I’m sure all my fellow fragrance fanatics can appreciate that aspect of travel.

Images courtesy of René Schifferle, Art of Perfumery.

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet, you have a very, very interesting blog.

10:04 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

k- I really have to get another bottle of Eau Sauvage: wonder what the my signature fragrance of the 70's (er, when I was 3) will smell like now?

12:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom - I'm throwing you a LARGE Eau Sauvage sample into your goodie bag.

I know I'm not alone in saying I wish to sniff Kurdjian at his friend's house in Sevilla, in spite of the oppressive heat of inland Andalucia in August....

3:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of buying a new fragrance before leaving for vacation or travel! but come to think of it, if my days of vacation and the number of new perfume bottles would be in proportion, boy, I wouldn't be home much ;). I must have gotten it wrong somewhere along the way.

5:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know Bain de Soleil had such a cult following. I buy it even if it has no SPF just to bring back memories of my childhood holidays.
I love these interviews of yours, thanks !

6:13 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Liking Christopher Chong here--Chanel no. 16 and trekking in Nepal for me!

8:12 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

As always, such a fascinating series. Agree w/ Judith that Christopher Chong's Nepal vacation sound incredible. Very high on my list of things to do before I die is to go trekking there. However, it's very (understatement) low on DH's list, so maybe I can someone like Mr. Chong when I do go. :-)

8:24 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Freddie,
Thank you very much!

9:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
There were a lot of mentions of Eau Sauvage by the men who participated in this series.

9:04 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Lee,
You are not alone, that's for sure :-)

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tina,
I like the idea of buying a fragrance whilst on vacation :-)

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Silvia,
I did not that either. I have to find and it re-sniff it :-)

9:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Great vacation for sure!
(love your avatar!)

9:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
It would be very low on my DH's list too. :-)

9:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny about Bain du Soleil. I bet the scent memory would bring me to adolescent summers past if I sniffed it, too.
Re: Eau Hadrian, I took your advice & got a sample yesterday from Aedes when I picked up a bottle of Datura Noir (it works very well on me in damp heat).

9:47 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Divalano,
I am so glad it works! On a sadder note, Datura does not work on *me* at all :-(

10:13 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M - Datura is one of my faves. That's the damp heat one, haven't tried Hadrian yet. Datura is wet garden juicy & lush on me, dries down musk/vanilla. People who smell it on me close their eyes & make swoony noises & it makes me smell myself constantly.

10:32 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, re scent for travel. Blond guy at Aedes (Karl? eep, I know you told me) commented to me yesterday that scent is weird traveling b/c things seem to smell different in different places. I know weather does that for me, not so sure yet re: different places. Makes sense, tho.

10:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Oh I am so envious!

10:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
Short hair - Robert, a little longer- Karl.
Makes sense to me too...at least on the emotional level, I guess.

10:38 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cool Water! Woo-hoo! ;D

11:54 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, more great stuff, thanks again for this wonderful series. And please do another for winter!

12:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Oh Ina :-D Dark past...:-)

12:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Robin,
Thank you! Winter series sound like a great idea! :-)

12:20 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I meant Chanel No. 18, of course; don't want to start anyone on a wild hunt for a perfume that (I don't think) exists.

Thanks on the avatar. I like it, too! I used to have the Bottecelli Judith over my bed in college (and no, it didn't discourage anyone:), but I really like the widly anomalous feeling of this one. As you may know, Cranach, the artist, has about a zillion of them (with slight variations)--but this is probably my fave.:)

12:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
I love the Victorious one the most too :-)

12:45 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home