Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, July 21, 2008

Perfume Review: CB I Hate Perfume Wild Hunt

I love the handful of the earth you are. Pablo Neruda



Christopher Brosius is the master of earthy accords. Think of the terrifyingly realistic smell of cold, wet soil and despair, Black March. Or the poignant and strangely comforting aroma of tomato vines and clean earth, Memory of Kindness. The Earthy Triumvirate is completed with Wild Hunt.

Brosius describes the perfume as "the scent of an ancient forest in the heat of a summer afternoon". Of all the earthy fragrances created by CB, this one is the least melancholy. Joyously robust and bucolic, it takes me to a forest glade surrounded by tall trees, which, in the bright sunlight do not look in the least menacing. It leaves me there lying in tall grass, inhaling the sharp aromas of earth, leaves and moss, staring in the azure abyss of the sky, feeling relaxed and a little unnerved by the magnificence and immortality of nature and by my own insignificance and transience. An existentialist perfume, one might say.

As for what exactly it smells like...it is green and earthy and, although not complicated, actually impossible to describe. Try it for yourself, I highly recommend it.

Available at cbihateperfume.com, $17.00-$85.00.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another one of those funny coincidences, I was just researching CB fragrances yesterday trying to decide which I'd like to sample, you've written an article about the one that intrigues me the most. I tried Wild Hunt in Bergdorf in the winter (on the 5th floor, not downstairs in fragrances for some reason). I really enjoyed it! It reminded me of a mushroomy, earthy, FRESH rain walk on a pine needle strewn nature trail in the park. Can you say how the different concentrations differ?
-Anthony

11:04 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

I love your description of this. The CB fragrances really intrigue me, and this one will be on my list of must-try scents when I get the chance to try them. There is nothing I like more than the scent of a primeval forest!

12:08 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anthony
I only tried it in absolute, sorry. Have to tried Memory of Kindness and Black March? They are also great.

6:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Does anybody stock them in your area?

6:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of my favorite CBs, this one is definitely more exhuberantly hopeful than his other earths. :)

11:16 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, I love this scent. I think of it as the late summer version of Black March. Great review!

2:28 PM EDT  
Blogger the oblitterati said...

Hi Marina!
I love this one two. It reminds me of mushroom hunting in the woods with my friend's mother who grew up in Poland. I was always so jealous of my friends who grew up in Russia who would tell tales of long hikes into the mountains with their families going mushroom picking.

Before you pointed it out, I never thought of the existential connection, that this is the scent of something found rather than lost.

5:23 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I love this scent and find it to be one of his most wearable.

10:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

I thought this line was mail order only? Do any shops actually carry it?! If so, I must find one!

10:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty
You were always a CB fan, and I am getting there slowly :-)

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
definitely a summer version, so true.

6:44 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
we do that in Russia too :-)

6:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,.
It IS wearable.

6:46 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

D,
There was one tiny shop in PA that carried them, so i am thinking why not in other states.

6:47 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Hey, Marina -- I'm poking back through the blogs seeing what I missed on vacation (next time: taking my laptop!) Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this brief post on a great fragrance, and what really captivated me was your perfect illustration.

I hope your summer is getting less ... fraught? Are we having some weird astrological issue right now, not to sound like a nut? Seriously, I feel like I'm trapped in some bizarre movie, and I wish it would end.

12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home