Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Le Labo Oud 27: Perfume Review

By Tom

Oud is a note that I am loving more and more in perfumes, whether it's one that I've tried, like Montale to ones that I one day hope to try. Le Labo has released the first new non-exclusive (available everywhere, and thank them for it) since the company started, and Oud is right there in the title.

Much like some of their other scents, Oud is not immediately apparent as the star of this show. The initial blast is woody and rather leathery, almost tarred in the vein of their Patchouli 24. There's also immediate cedar, sweetened with a lovely saffron note and a fair bit of skank. This one packs a punch, adding in ambered heat, and is sure to be polarizing until the opening calms to the post-coital woody drydown. The Oud is more a unifying theme than a stand-out ingredient for me and that's a good thing; it's always discernible, but at sexy whisper rather than a hoarse shout. I was (I'm sure you, tonstant weader, are shocked by the revelation) immediately so smitten that I bought a bottle, and am happy to report that for some reason this one is ready to go from the first mixing.

For those of you who are curious about how the whole fresh-mixed ethos is going to work out with them being available at LuckyScent. I know I did. LuckyScent actually will carry no stock of the perfume at all. All orders are mixed fresh at the Le Labo store on 3rd & Sweetzer in LA, hence the extra day processing the order on LuckyScent's end. Pretty neat. Of course you can order it direct from Le Labo, but if you want, say a Le Labo and a Perfumerie Generale, you can do one-stop shopping. Nice!

Available in 50ML for $130 and 100ML for $200 at LuckyScent

Additionally available in 15ML travel size for $53, 10ML silicon balm (which is FABULOUS) for $80, and 4oz oil and 8oz lotion for $60 at Le Labo's website

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger elle said...

Wow. Wow. Almost speechless here this sounds so perfect. WANT. Am going to seriously have to slap my hands back from bypassing the sampling stage and ordering unsniffed, but my spring resolution is *no* unsniffed purchases. Must repeat that to myself 100 times right now.

10:33 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Uh-oh - not sure if this is GOOD news for our collective wallets , but YAY! At last Le Labo gives the rest of us something! And it looks like a good one too - considering my love of Montales, I may have to add a second title to my name -in addition to White Floral Queen, I fear that I am also becoming the Oud Sl*t. :-D

11:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Elle-

I definitely suggest you try it first. I loved it immediately, but Heather at the Le Labo store smelled it on me and confirmed that my Deskankotron was in force, pulling a lot of the civet out.

I'm sure that you can get a small sample at LuckyScent or the Perfumed Court or the more deluxe ones from Le Labo,

But I did buy a 50ML on the spot, and I haven't done that in a loooong time..

11:44 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

Team Oud Sl*ts!

I dunno- I think the fact they offer the $50 size is a great thing. Of course, the larger ones are refillable...

11:47 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

I love skank.......absolutely love it......civet and me are very good friends! I think that I am going to have to succomb here, your review made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!

12:01 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

I think you will both love this and totally do it justice, but sample first.

12:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Hm, I dunno. I was very curious about that one, but I rather like my oud "like hoarse shout". I need a sample...

3:11 AM EDT  
Blogger waftbyCarol said...

The first 30 people to visit them on Sunday ( Sniffa NYC ) get a 5ml samp free...I'll be sleeping on the doorstep.....

7:08 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

LJG-

I would love to hear what you think of it.

11:09 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Carol-

Nice offer! I'd camp out too!

11:09 AM EDT  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Perfect, Tom! I hope to stop by Scent Bar manana to test this baby.
I can't wait!

Hugs!

12:54 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

I think you will like this one a lot!

2:58 PM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Tom, I placed an (excessive...) order at The P.Court, incl. LeLabo's Oud, will come back to you.

3:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't refuse the clear enunciation "post coital woody drydown". It is so charmingly suggestive of what a woody scent can evoke, and invoke.

6:35 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

I hope you love it!

8:39 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

EEM-

I'm rather pleased by that sentence if I do say so myself!

8:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

But more importantly, did you buy the musc. I think you need to buy that one and split it with me.

9:00 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Caitlin-

I'm totally tacky and drop by the store and spritz myself with it!

9:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

tmpOO

All things bright and beautiful and woody drydowns, and - today - a bit of Drole de Rose, just to stay on the loveliest side, for once

8:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Nairam said...

I dunno. My experiences of oud haven't been that great. Most of the ouds I've sampled smell like a cross between the barnyard and a burning plastics factory. I think I'm gunna pass this one up ;-(

5:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous FragrantMoments said...

Great review. For me Oud 27 opened more uriney. I did, however, allow myself to get past the initial top notes and it revealed itself to be an interesting, dare I say, sexual experience.

6:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous Tara C said...

This was a very mild oud scent on me, with no skank in sight, sadly. Less oomph than TF Oud Wood. Will not be purchasing this as I prefer an oud with more presence than this one has.

7:09 PM EDT  
Anonymous 2scents said...

Just got a sample and I'm finding the open to be quite reminiscent of Dzing! Must be the leather + saffron. I find it almost "band-aid" like, skanky and off-putting. I am, however, a lover of the Montales. Disappointed, because I do adore woody fragrances.

4:27 PM EDT  
Blogger Scott said...

I've sampled this twice now, and my impressions are quite different from the review. I get a HUGE oud opening, urinous and heavy on the barnyard, almost fecal. I am assuming that some of this is the civet, but there is definitely the medicinal oud in there as well. Way too skanky for me, but I know some of y'all out there will love it.
I much pefer a clean oud as in By Kilian's Pure Oud, whose antiseptic/iodine like notes are on the oposit end from barnyard.

4:21 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home