Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Guerlain L'Heure de Nuit

By Tom

I decided to drop by Saks while out at lunch and this has shown up at the Guerlain counter. I had read that this was something of a flanker to L'Heure Bleue. L'Heure Bleue is legendary of course, one of those benchmark scents that us fragrance lovers adore, but perhaps is a bit of a challenge to people who, well, aren't us.

L'Heure de Nuit is more for them. It's not challenging-it's pretty. It opens with notes that remind me of candied violets, adds in citrus and finally goes to a pillowy almond.

I don't like it at all.

Maybe because I feel that when you name something basically "middle of the night" and color it an inky blue the scent should be a little darker, more goth. This is more of a sparkly pinafore of a scent and for me it kind of just doesn't work.

$270 for 4.2 oz at Saks, where I sampled

Image: my iPhone

7 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

I have been curious about this one, but the original is a brilliant balancing act that I feel should not have been messed with. Its very oddness is what makes it great. Any attempt to "mainstream" it is missing the point, IMHO.

12:13 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I totally agree.

1:39 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tom,
I really like L'Heure de Nuit but I agree that it is misnamed. Did you try any of the other L'Heure offerings brought out for the 100th Anniversary?
Portia x

7:30 AM EST  
Blogger Tama said...

L'Heure Bleue was one of my first perfumes and still a huge love so I was a bit skeptical of this one. I like it, though. It is more wearable than Bleue, but that's okay with me. I have been flummoxed by so many disconnects with names and the way perfumes actually smell that I try not to go into that too much.

11:48 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Portia-

not yet, but a good excuse to return to asks!

1:04 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

This was just kind of clangy on me..

1:05 PM EST  
Blogger Σ Pєяƒυмє Pαяα∂ιѕє said...

Thanks for your opinion, Recently I have read few promotional words about this perfume and I was thinking about it & decided to buy from online perfume store.

1:24 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home