Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, April 03, 2009

M. Micallef La Seducteur: Perfume Review

"The ship at sea will not resemble merely a ship, but the sea itself, even to its hull and sails being composed of waves" - this is how Foucault describes one of Magritte's most puzzling paintings, La Seducteur. And I might be carrying the analogy too far, but...the greatest seducer would not resemble merely himself, but our dreams, he will be composed of our desires. We dream up into being those whom we cannot resists, and the best of them allow us not to wake from our dreams for a long time...never, if we are lucky.

And when I babble so, you know that the review is going to be positive. No, Micallef's La Seducteur is not a surrealist perfume. It resembles its object, it smells obviously seductive...or what I believe IS universally seductive, a suave, sweetly-spicy, husky aroma interspersed with nerve-tingling sparkles of freshness. A surrealist seductive perfume would have to smell...I suppose, of nothing! Of nothingness full of possibilities. It would magically acquire the scent you want it to acquire the moment it hits your nose...For each person, it will be unique. To me, the ultimate seductive scent would be like Gucci Pour Homme and Comme des Garcons Man 2 infused with the cold, sly edible quality of Caron 3eme Homme, the brooding rose of Amouage Lyric Man and quite a lot of oud...and magically, the formidable mixture will be harmonious and not in the least overwhelming...

In the absence of such a miraculous fit of chemistry, La Seducteur joins the ranks of the fragrances listed above as one of the most handsome and, yes, seductive masculine perfumes. The initial chilly feel of the composition, which does not completely go away, reminds me of The Third Man. The presence of galbanum, pine, leather and moss, makes the blend appear quite classic. It could have been created in the 1960s, it might be from the beginning of last century, and it is perfectly contemporary now. That is classic. But the most attractive and seductive, to me, is the surprising sweet piquancy of La Seducteur. I was looking in vain in the list of notes for ginger or cardamom, both of which have that honeyed spiciness, and only found nutmeg. Perhaps that's what it is. This is a superbly elegant, polished, impeccably structured creation that I did not expect to find in Micallef's rather uneven line.

So what would be the most seductive scent like in YOUR opinion? Do share!

M. Micallef La Seducteur is available at Luckyscent, $230.00 for 100ml.

The image, La Seducteur by Rene Magritte, is from art.com.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Браво, серьёзно - браво! Отличная аналогия.

11:48 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

I would like to try this, it sounds just like what I would like to smell on a man - and I LOVE nutmeg!

12:22 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

The most seductive scent for me at this moment in time would be that deliciously elusive scent of a man who enjoys lavishing gifts on me. Yes, deep sigh as I contemplate my beloved husband who is the kindest, yet thriftiest man in the world...currently w/in mere feet of a Guerlain boutique and w/ positively zero thoughts of bringing anything back for me. But I agree w/ you about this Micallef. Absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. Destined for longevity and classic status w/out doubt.

7:31 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Anonymous,
Спасибо! :-)

7:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
I can totally see Alan Rickman as Colonel Christopher Brandon wearing this :-)

7:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
:-))) That is a seductive scent for sure. But kindness is seductive too, no less so.

7:57 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful. The ones that I make my husband reach for at the moment at Cumming, PG's Coze, CdG's Avignon and Zagorsk.....all smoldering :-)

8:25 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add my name after smoldering husband,

lovethescents

8:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

lovethescents
Smoldering are the best! My favorite kind too. :-)

8:26 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

lovethescents,
well, yeah, it's easy to forget one's own name when he is smoldering :-)

8:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous surely-shirley said...

A brilliant analogy with the picture! I loved it!

1:45 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Surely-Shirley
Thank you so much!

1:46 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make it sound so good. I found it to be very similar to Fou d'Absinthe from L'Artisan.

7:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

I can see some resemblance too, but, to me, FdA is much, much more green and aromatic.

10:43 PM EDT  
Blogger Scott said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:50 AM EDT  
Blogger Scott said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Scott said...

Just got a sample of this from Luckyscent and I LOVE it. In some ways it has a tiny cool but complex mint, like Cartier Roadster, and I'll agree, a touch of Fou d'Absinthe, but there is honey hiding close to the skin, the cedary nutmeg. It's so complex and intriguing, and seems to smell ever so slightly different with every whiff, buy always amazing. My wife thinks it's sexy... but it's even sexy to me. Hell... I fancy myself in it!

11:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous Seducteur said...

The most seductive scent, in my opinion, is artemisia or bergamot. No wonder my favourite perfume is Kouros (Yves-Saint-Laurent), then.

I haven't tested 'La Seducteur' yet, but it's on my list.

2:32 PM EST  
Anonymous pheromone advantage said...

Well, thanks for sharing this perfume review. I really enjoyed reading it and I also wanna try that perfume.


-nickolei-

8:59 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home