Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, January 15, 2007

Perfume Review: Cristiano Fissore Cashmere for Men

I talked before about Cristiano Fissore Cashmere for Women, describing my unexpected affection for -if not obsession with- the scent. Although I came to accept it as a fragrance indeed evocative of cashmere, the “cashmere quality” was not achieved there the way I would have expected. Cashmere for Men was clearly created by someone with my way of thinking. The moment I smelled it, I thought, yep, cashmere. It has soft woodiness and understated warmth that makes it most definitely cashmere-like in feel. You want to touch the scent, to nestle it against your face. It smells like a grey cashmere sweater worn by the love of my life. It smells like me wearing that sweater when I miss him. It is incredibly attractive.

The scent starts pleasantly sharp, with a spicy, almost clove-like and at the same time balsamic accord of bergamot, bay and elemi. Within seconds, the sharpness goes away, and the scent reveals its gorgeous heart of woods jazzed up by just the tiniest residue of the spice from the top notes. For a lover of woody notes in perfume, the middle stage of Cashmere for Men is a veritable paradise. First there is elegant, slightly peppery cedar, then a richer, darker wood that has an undertone of the very black, over-brewed tea (that must be Guaiac)…The woody notes are complimented by the dark earthiness of patchouli and vetiver; in the drydown, the amber becomes very apparent and softens and warms the scent considerably, enhancing the “cashmere” effect. Cashmere for Men manages to be dry and cuddly at the same time. It is refined and comforting, discreet and full of character. It is one of those “masculine” scents that I absolutely adore, the ones that are understated, most decidedly non-macho and yet incredibly sensual. Like MDCI SB1, Let Me Play the Lion, Dior Homme and Un Bois Sepia, it has an urbane, subtle charm that I find irresistible. Because it does not possess the in your-face, bare-chested, I-am-man-hear-me-roar attitude, it is also entirely wearable for a woman. If the love of my life owned this scent, I would have borrowed it just like that grey cashmere sweater of his.

Cashmere for Men is only available at First in Fragrance, 95.00 for 100ml. It is my hope that one of the US stores, like Luckyscent, would start carrying it soon as well, along with its wonderful feminine counterpart.

The first image is from unity-models.com.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your cashmere sweaters! Do I need to try these? Do I?

10:53 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Ina,
I am sorry to say that you most certainly do have to try them. Both of them, because there is a chance you'd like both :-)

11:01 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have "harassed" Luckyscent to make this available. I am unsuccessful so far.

11:18 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Me too. :-) I am hoping they will carry it soon.

11:19 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want! Want!
Crave! Crave!
Cry! Weep! Arrgh!
A lovely cashmere ode to the love of your life, M. :-)

11:34 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

So do I! So do I! :-)
And thank you very much :-)

11:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I must try this. If only for its association in my head with that rather perfect, man-next-door (if only)model you've posted with it.

3:45 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

There are reviews which should be prefaced by a warning, letting those of us who are desperately trying to adhere to the vestiges of some sort of budget know in advance that we should *not* continue to read. This was one of those reviews. OK, OK...I feel this way about all your reviews except for those which involve serious fruit or citrus. Sigh. Off to add this to my tragically long list of lemmings.

7:42 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

It does sound lovely -- would sound even more appealing if the temp. around here would drop 30 degrees into the normal range ;-)

7:58 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Huh! As I think I have mentioned, I know I have a sample of this somewhere, sent untouched by---Ina, as an extra (I think it originally came from Lisa). Must really dig it out!!!! But I am trying to be on a No-Buy (of course, since we can't buy this yet, it shouldn't hurt:)

8:08 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Leopoldo,
Lucky you, Living next door to models like that :-) Me, I live next door to an unfiednly woman with 2 cats:-)

8:10 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
You are too kind. But this IS lemming-worthy. And the citrus, although declared in the top notes, is not prominent at all. Sorry :-)

8:11 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
The weatehr is bizarre to say the least, here as well. But this is not a "very warm scent, you could wear it in summer.

8:12 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
Well, we can buy it from FiF...but I'd much rather wait so as not to have to deal with the custmos-anxiety...on the other hand, I can't wait much longer.

8:14 AM EST  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Well, it sounds really good to me !

I cannot afford to want anything right now- four anticipated bottles are on their way, I hope [damn those holidays !]...

But, if anyone wishes to send me a smidge, I'll happily reciprocate in kind !

9:02 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Which 4 bottles? Spill it! I am very curious! :-)

(as soon as I get some Cashmere, and I will get some in near future, I will send you some!)

9:08 AM EST  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Let's see...

I fell SO hard for Vanisia [against my will], and the tester price was so good, I ordered a backup, along with Irisia [the price, again, was great- and I've put off buying this for months...
It layers with Tabarome in an ungodly way, and with Cypres Musc, too].

I won Rykiel for Women on ebay for a song, and it should arrive soon [I hope- an all-round lovely thing, it is].

For a reasonable cost, I'm sampling Rochas Absolu, getting a bottle of Antilope, and Black Cashmere EDP...

I've been longing for Antilope for years, smelled the Absolu at a local perfumery [but not sure I want to put out the money], and the notes of Black C. appeal.

There you have it-
The sins made flesh...
OUCH !

Want some, when they show up ?

9:29 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
Ooh, great ones! I would have begged for some Vanisia, but I will be getting a bottle any day now :-) I love that stuff, also against my will and better judgment :-)

9:31 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even necessarily love cashmere sweaters, and yet the name "cashmere" for perfume enthralls me. This one sounds wonderful. I love woods these days, and paired with soft spice and amber, it sounds like just the thing. I need to stop reading your reviews for a while! ;-)

11:18 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
Hey, that's not fair :-) But yeah, the scent is wonderful. I am in love with it. :-)

11:20 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Arrrgh! Not! Buying! *shuddering violently* Not! Getting! Card! Out! *face plants on keyboard*

11:58 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Now THAT is the kind of reaction I like to get. My work here is done. :-)

12:05 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

*laughs diabolically*

1:17 PM EST  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

Again with the lemmings! ::moan::

11:14 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

A,
Well why should I suffer alone? I share lemming with you guys...so that we can suffer together *evil cakcle*

11:24 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a good chance Luckyscent will eventually carry this gem. I was searching where I can order Absolument absinthe and found a website based in England. And just recently, Luckyscent has discovered it and now part of their repertoire. Crossing my fingers.

10:28 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Yes, I was told they might. Fingers very firmly crossed :-)

10:30 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

LSP,
Wonderful news!!

11:34 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home